Through five innings in its Big Ten opener with No. 20 Minnesota, Maryland softball appeared well on its way to an upset win to begin the three-game series.

The Terps used a three-run first inning to build an early advantage, which pitcher Sydney Golden helped sustain by allowing just one hit with runners in scoring position in her 5 ⅓ innings of work.

But when the top of the sixth rolled around, the Golden Gophers notched their second hit with runners in scoring position — and it was a dagger.

The Terps’ 4-2 lead quickly evaporated as Minnesota right fielder Maddie Houlihan crushed a grand slam off pitcher Sami Main to the scoreboard to put the Golden Gophers up 6-4.

Despite Maryland’s strong start, Houlihan’s slam and strong pitching that kept Minnesota within striking distance throughout Friday’s game lifted the Golden Gophers to a 6-5 win to open the series .

“I thought we played a great game,” coach Julie Wright said, “and that game could have gone either way.”

The Terps’ hitters were facing their toughest pitcher of the season so far in Minnesota’s Amber Fiser, who was named the Big Ten Pitcher of the Week for the second time Monday. Fiser did not allow any runs at the USF tournament last weekend and notched 13 strikeouts en route to a 1.27 ERA entering Friday.

After the Terps rocked Fiser for three runs in the first inning, the junior locked in for the remainder of her outing. She allowed only one more Maryland run before senior Sydney Smith swapped into the circle in the bottom of the sixth.

“[Fiser] is one of the best pitchers in the conference, and we proved we could hit her,” Wright said. “That means a lot to our offense … and will carry them a long way.”

Pitching for Maryland, Sydney Golden recorded a season-high seven strikeouts in 5 ⅓ innings, holding the Gophers to two runs.

“She was really on her stuff tonight,” Wright said. “I was very pleased with her concentration, focus and how she pitched herself out of some jams too.”

The Terps built their three-run lead after right fielder Amanda Brashear was walked and advanced to second on a wild pitch. Catcher Gracie Voulgaris then bombed a triple down the right field line, and Maryland took a 1-0 lead early.

Shortstop Bailey Boyd stole second after getting walked to get behind Voulgaris on third, and a two-RBI double from designated player Sammie Stefan capped off the Terps’ strong opening frame.

Golden shutout the Gophers in the second inning with two strikeouts, but the Maryland lead shrunk to 3-1 in the third inning after an RBI double from Houlihan, who ultimately proved to be the difference in Friday’s matchup with five RBIs.

The Terps weren’t able to build upon their edge until the bottom of the fifth, courtesy of six strikeouts from Fiser.

And after the Gophers took a two-run lead with Houlihan’s grand slam, Maryland found itself trailing for the first time all night.

The Terps fought to get one back in the bottom of the sixth after center fielder JoJo McRae drove a run in with an RBI single to make it 6-5, but Smith closed out the inning with a strikeout on Brashear, stranding three runners and ending Maryland’s chance to provide some bases-loaded magic of its own.

Main held the Gophers off the board in the final frame, but the Terps were unable to mount a comeback.

“I thought they played tough,” Wright said. “They did the little things that put them in the position at the end to win, and that’s all you can really ask for.”