With 16 seconds left in regulation, a mad scramble ending in a goal from midfielder Anthony DeMaio had given Maryland men’s lacrosse new life, forcing Sunday’s game into overtime.

The Terps had survived a four-goal deficit, several near-turnovers late in the game and a penalty to start overtime. But it was Notre Dame attackman Brian Willetts wrapping around the crease to score in extra time that gave the Irish a victory.

After a Terps penalty at the end of regulation, No. 17 Notre Dame held possession for all 74 seconds in overtime before upsetting No. 2 Maryland 14-13 inside the Loftus Sports Center on Sunday.

“You’d love to have that opportunity and you’d love to have a faceoff,” coach John Tillman said. “Then if you can get possession, maybe you could get the first opportunity [to win it].”

Maryland’s offense was clicking in the first quarter, scoring four goals within the first 10 minutes. The fourth goal, a low-to-high submarine delivery from attackman Logan Wisnauskas, gave the Terps a 4-1 lead on the road.

Late in the first quarter, after Notre Dame added a goal to cut Maryland’s lead to 4-2, momentum took a turn when the officials disallowed attackman Jared Bernhardt’s diving goal.

Under the new dive rule this season, players can leave their feet to shoot while going away from the goalmouth. The officials deemed that Bernhardt’s dive was going toward the goalmouth, so the goal was disallowed.

An unsportsmanlike conduct penalty also accompanies that call, and Notre Dame scored on the extra-man chance to bring the score to 4-3.

“You’ve got to be more aware when you’re around the goal and try not to dive into the goalie,” said Bernhardt. “It’s not always going to go your way and you kind of gotta move on from some of those calls.”

Following the two-goal swing, the Irish tacked on two more to take their first lead of the game at 5-4 and eventually carry a 7-5 advantage into halftime.

Just as Maryland captured the momentum with two goals from midfielder Will Snider, the Terps lost success at the faceoff dot. Faceoff specialist Austin Henningsen won 13 of his first 16 attempts but lost each of the next four draws. Notre Dame capitalized on those possessions, scoring four straight to stake an 11-7 lead.

Snider added another goal to notch his first career hat trick, with all three goals coming in the third quarter. Then, Bernhardt left his feet to score, with this goal being allowed because he was hit toward the goalmouth, to bring the score to 11-9 at the end of three quarters.

Needing a spark to keep their undefeated start, the Terps’ top-two scorers — Wisnauskas and Bernhardt — on the season came to the forefront both netted goals to even the score at 11.

After getting a stop on defense, Maryland failed to clear for the fifth time and gave Notre Dame possession.

“They’ve got a really athletic attack. They were able to get pressure on,” defender Curtis Corley said. “At Notre Dame, they’re always talked up as a very athletic team, so that bodes well for them in the riding game.”

Irish midfielder Brendan Gleason scooped up the turnover and converted a one-on-one chance against goalie Danny Dolan to give Notre Dame back the lead.

Gleason added another goal as the Irish threatened to put the Terps away with under four minutes remaining. But Wisnauskas was the benefactor of a fortunate bounce, as a rebound kicked to him before he scooped and scored to get Maryland within a goal.

With just over two minutes left in regulation, the Terps turned to relentless hustle. Wisnauskas, Snider and attackman Louis Dubick all made effort plays to save possession for Maryland. Ultimately, off a scramble, Wisnauskas threw a pass to DeMaio for a goal in front to knot the score with 16 seconds left.

Notre Dame faceoff specialist Charles Leonard took the next faceoff and sprinted towards the net, threatening to score the game winner in regulation. Maryland long-stick midfielder Nick Brozowski sprinted in to deter Leonard, but committed a hold in the process.

Just over a minute into the overtime period, Willetts wrapped around the crease and scored to complete the upset and hand the Terps their first loss of the season.

“A lot to build upon,” Tillman said. “This journey will continue and we’ll stick with it, we’ll stick together and we’ll keep fighting.”