With two Campbell runners on base in the tenth inning of the team’s season opener with one out, Maryland baseball right-hander Elliot Zoellner wound up to pitch in the hopes of getting out of the jam.

Zoellner averaged an 11.57 ERA in his 16 appearances last season, but had been stable for the Terps since entering the game in the eighth inning. His struggles from 2018 returned, though, as he crumbled at a crucial moment. Second baseman Collin Wolf powered a double to left center field, allowing right fielder Grant Harris and infielder Tyler Anshaw to run home and give Campbell a two-run lead with two outs remaining.

JuCo Transfer Tuck Tucker came into the game to replace Zoellner, but it didn’t make any difference as the Camels added two more runs, extending their advantage to four.

Maryland couldn’t find a way to make up the difference at the plate and lost its opening contest, 10-6.

It was a Terps’ comeback though that pushed the game into extra innings. With Maryland down by one in the bottom of the ninth inning with runners on second and third, Campbell’s Tyson Messer threw a wild pitch.

JuCo transfer Caleb Walls quickly took off toward home, tying the game for the Terps and sending the season opener into extra innings.

Earlier in the game, though, it was Campbell who needed to mount a comeback. With Maryland clinging to a one-run lead in the seventh inning Friday, Campbell first baseman Matthew Christian strode to the plate with one runner on.

Left-hander Sean Fisher had plunked one batter, gave up a double and allowed an RBI groundout to open the frame. Then, the Terps’ lead evaporated with one swing of the bat from Christian, sending the second pitch of the at-bat over the left field fence to give the Camels a 6-5 advantage.

There were plenty of unknowns for the young Maryland team going into the game, but starter Hunter Parsons promised to be the most consistent returning piece for Maryland.

The senior worked throughout the offseason on his lower body with the hopes of controlling his pitches better, wanting to remain in games for as long as possible.

The Terps saw success early in the contest, but the tides turned in the fourth inning.

Parsons had a strong showing through the first three innings, but struggled mightily in the top of the fourth, allowing designated hitter Spencer Packard to hit a solo home run that closed the Terps’ lead to three runs.

He then walked three straight batters, with a wild pitch in the mix, to set Campbell up with the bases loaded. But with the bullpen active, Parsons struck out right fielder Grant Harris to strand three runners.

Parsons came back out for the top of the fifth and immediately allowed a solo shot to second baseman Collin Wolf, slimming Maryland’s lead to two.

By the end of the fifth, he had already thrown 93 pitches, prompting right-hander Sean Heine to take over in the sixth inning. Heine was quickly replaced by Fisher, and by the eighth inning, right-hander Elliot Zoellner entered the contest as the fourth pitcher of the game for the Terps, retiring the Camels in order. At the contest’s conclusion, Maryland had gone through five pitchers following Parsons early exit.

Though the miscues on the mound ultimately cost Maryland in the season opener, its offense produced some early bright spots. After the Terps lost their five best hitters from last season, it was unclear who would be a go-to contributor at the plate.

But early on, the Terps’ power potential shined. Walls stepped up to the plate for his first-ever appearance as a Terp and hit a leadoff single up the middle of the field. Center fielder Randy Bednar then walked and third baseman Taylor Wright hit a bunt single to bring catcher Justin Vought to the plate with the bases loaded.

Vought drove in Walls with a single for the first run of the game, giving the Terps early momentum.

In the second inning, Walls found success again and hammered a solo homer to left field. Vought also came up clutch again, this time clobbering a homer to left field with Wright, giving Maryland a four-run lead over Campbell.

But when Maryland need its offense the most, its hitters went cold, producing just one hit through the final five innings.