Just a minute into the second half, Florida attacker Lindsey Ronbeck’s quick strike cut Maryland women’s lacrosse’s lead to one, rapidly closing in after the Terps established a five-goal advantage seven minutes into Thursday’s contest.

But just a minute later, Maryland midfielder Grace Griffin answered with a goal of her own. And after that, the floodgates opened. The Terps scored four goals in a 1:14 span and took back control of the match.

That stretch of goals and timely saves by goalkeeper Megan Taylor lifted No. 2 Maryland (2-0) to a dominant victory over the No. 4 Florida Gators (1-1), 17-12. The win was coach Cathy Reese’s 250th with the Terps.

“It’s nice to be able to celebrate something like that with my 2019 team,” Reese said. “To have a win down here in Gainesville tonight was something pretty impressive for our program.”

After jumping out to the quick 5-0 lead, the Terps entered a fifteen minute scoring drought, which allowed Florida to notch four straight goals and give life to the Gainesville crowd.

The Maryland offense never stopped pressing during its drought, and the Terps were finally rewarded when attacker Caroline Steele drew a penalty and scored on the subsequent free position.

Steele may have ended the drought, but Florida still refused to go away.

Maryland entered the break clinging to a two-goal lead. And after Ronbeck drew the Gators within one, the Terps regained their edge. Maryland scored the next six goals, establishing a seven-goal lead.

Maryland was buoyed by a balanced attack with six different Terps scoring a goal. The balance proved fruitful as Giles, Steele and attacker Kali Hartshorn each scored four goals during the win. Griffin and midfielder Erica Evans provided two each, and midfielder Hannah Warther chipped one in as well.

“Everyone was having so much fun,” Giles said. “The celebrations after, the huddles after, we were all just looking at each other so excited and talking about how much fun it was.”

Ronbeck, who scored eight goals in the game, managed to cut the Maryland lead to five with 14 minutes left to play. But much like she did in the first half, Taylor and her eight saves slammed the door on the Gators’ hopes of a comeback.

Regardless of the score, Taylor looks at every shot the same, not wavering from her goal to stop every attempt fired her way.

“Honestly, I was having too much fun and didn’t look at the scoreboard too much,” Taylor said. “I felt that it was a one-goal game and I wanted them to shoot and I was excited to compete at that level.”

A huge part of Maryland’s win came from their success in the faceoff dot. Last week’s matchup against George Mason saw the Terps secure only 13 draws, but against Florida they gathered a staggering 20 to the Gators’ 11.

And Reese’s side won the ground ball game, 25 to 22, controlling possession down the stretch to hold onto control of the game.

“We were just ready to hunt down those loose balls,” Reese said. “I am extremely proud of our center drawers and I think that made a huge difference.”

With a plethora of goal scorers, a constricting defense and an All-American goalkeeper, the No. 2 Terps handily dispatched one of the most talented teams in the nation.

Taylor knows that her job is easier with the supporting cast around, and she feels confident after two commanding wins to begin the season.

“It’s so much fun,” Taylor said. “I have a front row seat to the best lacrosse ever.”