University of Maryland Police responded to reports of telephone/email misuse and thefts, among other reports over the past two weeks, according to police reports.

Telephone/email misuse

University Police responded to Cole Field House on April 19 at 11:28 a.m. for a reported telephone/email misuse, according to police reports. A university employee told police that between March 9 and April 14, they were sent emails from someone unaffiliated with the university, police spokeswoman Sgt. Rosanne Hoaas said. Police instructed the employee to email the individual and tell them to stop sending the messages.

The case is open, pending further investigation, Hoaas said.


University Police responded to the 3400 block of Tulane Drive on April 18 at 11:25 p.m. for a reported theft, according to police reports. A male student told police his bicycle’s front tire was stolen between April 17 at 10:30 p.m. and April 18 at 10:30 a.m., Hoaas said.

University Police also responded to the Atlantic Building on April 20 at 2:09 p.m. for another theft report, according to police reports. A female student reported that, between 12:52 a.m. and noon, a computer was stolen from a room.

That same day at 2:19 p.m., police responded to another theft report at the Computer Science Instructional Center, according to police reports. A male student told police he left his laptop and its case in a room, and when he returned, it was gone, Hoaas said. The theft reportedly occurred between April 19 at 3 p.m. and April 20 at 1 p.m.

The first case is active, while the last two are open pending further investigation.

Other incident

University Police responded to Cambridge Hall at 9:12 p.m. on April 18 for a report of an “other incident,” which occurred the day before, according to police reports. A male student met with police on April 17 and told them he participated in a “mutually consensual sexual video chat with a female,” and later found out the chat was recorded, Hoaas said.

Hoaas said when the student contacted the female, an unknown male answered the phone and demanded money, or else the video would be uploaded online. Police told the student to cease contact with the individual and gave him information from the Office of Civil Rights and Sexual Misconduct.

This case is active.