“I’m passionate because it’s who I am,” says Logic while reclining on a couch. “And it’s why I’m gonna be revered as one of the greatest entertainers of my generation.”

The nonchalant opening of Netflix’s Rapture is up close and personal — much like the series, which delves into the psyche and origin of some of the rap industry’s biggest names. Each episode — roughly an hour long — is interspersed with video clips and interviews with everyone from Nas to G-Eazy.

Episode one, “Gray Matters,” is by far the strongest episode of the series. It follows Logic through the making of his 2017 album, Everybody, as he discusses his anxiety and difficult upbringing. There are touching moments with devoted fans and candid moments with his now-estranged wife. Filming travels to his hometown in Montgomery County, Maryland, and profiles his early childhood. Interviews are kept to a minimum but smartly overlayed with Logic’s song “Take it Back,” which deals with similar themes of the episode.

Logic breaks barriers, particularly in the realm of mental health. He’s written songs about suicide and anxiety, a topic often marginalized in the music industry. In Rapture, Logic’s efforts come to fruition as crying fans relay their thanks to the rapper. It’s poignant moments like these that strengthen the series.

“Gray Matters” kicks the series off strong, only for it to spiral downwards. The T.I. episode, “Taking a Stand,” opens with an overdramatized dressing sequence more fitting for a music video. He alludes to prison, drugs and overcoming imperfections, but fails to discuss these personal struggles in more depth throughout the hour-long episode.

The majority of “Taking a Stand” focuses on the Black Lives Matter movement and his efforts to assist the community. T.I. meets with people like singer Harry Belafonte and activist Jane Elliott to discuss racism. It’s timely and certainly important, but aside from a conversation with his son about the tensions between police officers and African-Americans, the episode feels impersonal.

The episode is also filled with unnecessary fluff that comes off as irritating. T.I. talks of loving oneself and embracing imperfections. It’s the cliche motto told since childhood and, frankly, makes the episode feel repetitive.

In “Worldwide Amplified,” G-Eazy takes on perfectionism and his tendency to doubt himself. It’s disjointed and superficial, aside from a scene that depicts the rapper writing a song about the death of his mother’s longtime companion. As one of the only white rappers in the industry, G-Eazy admits his self-doubt stems from needing to prove himself. It’s understandable, but his perfectionism borders on arrogance ­­­­­­­— ­­all too common in the entertainment industry.

Each episode in Rapture excels in balancing music and voice, but altogether the series is subpar. There are many abrupt transitions, like T.I.’s opening scene, but the series effectively pairs each interview with music that highlights the struggle. Scenes of Logic performing “1-800-273-8255” are interspersed throughout clips of him talking about anxiety and depression. As G-Eazy discusses his childhood, from a helicopter, the song “Fly Away” is heard in the distance.

Rapture excels at producing chills-worthy moments that give viewers a greater appreciation for hip-hop songs and the artists behind them. It provides viewers with an in-depth look not only at the wide array of genres in the rap industry, but the use of music as therapy. Rapture is emotional, but the rehearsed interviews and staged sequences kill the vibe.