Entering Tuesday, the Maryland softball team had never won after trailing after the fifth inning and had scored more than seven runs just twice.

So, when Rutgers scored five runs in the sixth to take a 7-1 lead, it seemed all but certain the Terps were on their way to their seventh Big Ten loss in eight conference games.

But the Terps tied the game with six runs in the bottom of the sixth and completed the largest comeback of their season by walking off in the seventh, securing a doubleheader sweep of the Scarlet Knights that got Maryland back to .500 in conference play.

“They were just loose and relaxed and they felt like they weren’t out of it,” coach Julie Wright said. “I really liked their approach today, which started in the locker room. They were determined to get these two games today.”

[Read more: Maryland softball sweeps midweek doubleheader vs. Rutgers]

The win moved Maryland to 2-16 in games in which opponents score six or more runs and was its second victory in a game it trailed by more than two runs.

The comeback started with back-to-back home runs by second baseman Skylynne Ellazar and catcher Anna Kufta. It was the second time they hit multiple home runs in one game.

[Read more: Three pitches bamboozled Maryland softball all weekend]

“Once Sky hit that homer, that opened it up for all of us,” first baseman Jacqui Pascual said.

After a flyout by third baseman Brigette Nordberg, Pascual reignited Maryland’s rally with a bullet single into right field.

An error put runners on first and second, and shortstop Mikayla Werahiko doubled into right-center field, bringing home a run and pulling Maryland within three runs.

After a strikeout, the Terps tied the game with two outs when left fielder Amanda Brashear hit the first pitch of the at-bat over the right field fence, the sophomore’s first career home run.

Brashear, a slap hitter who bats left-handed, had not showed much pop this year, with only one extra-base hit prior to the longball.

“I was just looking for anything on the plate and swinging as hard as I could,” Brashear said. “For all of us, it was just knowing what you wanted and not giving into a pitcher’s pitch. Just waiting for yours.”

The final frame was also started by Ellazar, who ripped a first-pitch double into right-center field. After a groundout by Kufta, a line-drive double from Nordberg put Ellazar on third base.

After falling behind 0-2, Pascual ripped a ball over the right fielder’s head to give the Terps their most improbable win of the season and complete the senior’s breakout weekend. Pascual entered the Rutgers series with 19 hits and went 5-for-6 with a walk and two RBI across the two games, including one of the biggest hits of Maryland’s season.

“I just wanted to barrel up the ball,” Pascual said, “even getting a pop-up to the outfield, just anything to get that walk-off.”