By Hannah Himes

As the infamous day of April 20 looms closer, students may be surprised to know the day is recognized for a few things other than marijuana.

Though primarily known for celebrating cannabis, April 20 also shares recognition as National Cheddar Fries Day, National Lima Bean Respect Day, National Look Alike Day and National Pineapple Upside-Down Cake Day.

“Well I mean, 4/20 is Weed Day,” said University of Maryland senior Hunter Simpson, a fire protection engineering major. “No one knows about those. None of my friends would know about those off-the-wall holidays.”

Senior biology major Lillian Choi agreed, adding she had no idea about “those other days.”

“It’s definitely overshadowed,” she said. “I thought it was just National Weed Day.”

Despite sharing the day with such arguably delicious treats like cheddar fries and pineapple upside-down cake, it seems marijuana has claimed the day as its own.

“[There] seems to be a designated day for anything,” said freshman government and politics major Marc Celotto. “So I’m not surprised there would be one for marijuana.”

The recognition of marijuana on April 20 dates back to the 1970s with a group that called themselves “the Waldos.” [1]

Cannabis has come a long way in the state of Maryland since the 1970s. In December, medical marijuana became available in Maryland, four years after it was legalized. Medical marijuana is supposed to help individuals with chronic pain or debilitating diseases, including those who have been admitted into hospice.

The treatment is also available for people with severe conditions unaided by other medical treatments with approval from an authorized doctor of the state’s medical cannabis commission. [2]

Washington, D.C., along with states such as Alaska, California, Colorado, Nevada, Oregon and Washington, have legalized both medical and recreational marijuana, though laws of possession and sales vary in each state.

“Some people take it seriously,” said senior classics major Beth Bynum. “But I think it’s just kind of funny.”

Other students, such as freshman public health science major Jillian Jones agreed, saying this day is something to laugh about.

“People really get into it. I think it’s just kind of a joke,” Jones said.

Michelle Appel, an employee of this university’s Office of Institutional Research, Planning and Assessment, said she thinks the concept is an overall distraction.

“I mean, it’s kind of amusing,” she said. “But I think that it diverts attention from some of the serious political conversations that exist around marijuana right now.”

In January, Attorney General Jeff Sessions repealed an Obama-era policy that discouraged federal prosecutors from pressing charges in places where marijuana is legal under state law.

Some members of Congress have voiced their support for legalization of the drug, including former House Speaker John Boehner (R-Ohio).

“I’m joining the board of #AcreageHoldings because my thinking on cannabis has evolved. I’m convinced de-scheduling the drug is needed so we can do research, help our veterans and reverse the opioid epidemic ravaging our communities,” Boehner wrote on Twitter.