On March 30, the University of Maryland received a federal contract from the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency to enhance “swarm autonomy for heterogeneous swarm systems in urban environments.” The contract’s purpose is to develop ground robots and flying drones with increased capabilities to surveil complex urban areas that are rapidly developing, according to this university’s Robotics Center.

Despite negative reactions from this university’s community, this contract and the technology it’ll develop aren’t as bleak as they may first seem. Though drone strikes can cause civilian casualties and other devastating consequences, the drone technology that this university will be developing is purposed for surveillance and intelligence.

Our community should focus on the tremendous opportunity granted to faculty of two of the most prominent departments at this university instead of its connection to the military. The computer science and engineering schools are both nationally ranked and highly respected; this contract is something to be proud of and proof of the standing of our university in this field.

It is also important to remember the general impact of federal research and development, especially military projects. Many commonplace technologies that we use today, such as the internet and microwaves, had their early stages developed through military contracts.

The dilemma that arises in many people’s minds is one of morality — it’s a question of whether the university should be involved with a branch of government that ends lives to pursue its mission. Understandably, the thought of professors on our campus creating “killer robots” does not sit well in the minds of most. But in addition to the fact that nothing indicates the drones will be used for violence, it is important to remember the work these researchers will be doing can — and most likely will — have further reaching implications than just military use.

It is important for the talent at this university to be recognized and used in a way that positively advances society in the most efficient and effective way possible. With the power and resources that can be awarded from working with an agency as powerful as DARPA, this university’s researchers can do work that is trailblazing in the field and will have international impact.

Michela Dwyer is a sophomore English and philosophy major. She can be reached at mgdwyer3@gmail.com.