The March for Our Lives in Washington, D.C., came as support for gun reform is stronger than it’s been in years. Marches were also held across the country Saturday in cities like New York, Chicago and Dallas.

Unlike the Black Lives Matter movement and demonstrations in support of immigration reform, there is something about the March for Our Lives and the surrounding movement that is palatable to the general public and encourages high-profile political and business support.

For example, BLM and immigration protesters were not given privileges like traveling to demonstrations on the New England Patriots’ official team jet, like Parkland survivors and their families did last weekend.

[Read more: “We’re going to be the future”: UMD students take to DC in nationwide March for Our Lives]

The harsh reality is that the support for March For Our Lives flows because it’s a movement that does not explicitly challenge any power-wielding majority. BLM and pro-immigration movements challenge the privilege that white people and people with American citizenship hold. For that reason, those movements threaten the societal clout that many white people in power currently have.

The powerful often don’t want to give up their influence, and thus are less inclined to support movements that would decrease such power. Although the gun control movement does challenge the conservative platform and is experiencing cruel backlash from conservative politicians and news outlets, conservatives in this country are not an oppressive, long-lasting, power-wielding majority like those challenged by the BLM and immigration reform movements.

Unlike BLM or immigration reform movements, which call for a revolution of oppressive and discriminatory structures that keep powerful elites in place, the gun reform movement calls for, simply put, a reform. Reforming our current gun laws does not involve removing a large amount of social and political power from those who already wield it.

NFL teams, A-list celebrities and high-profile politicians alike are willing to support this movement publicly and actively because it does not threaten their positions. This is not to say that it’s their fault that they came out on top of the unjust hierarchy, but it is their fault if they fail to use their privilege to support all just causes, not just the ones that allow them to stay in power.

[Read more: Maryland legislators proposed several bills on gun violence following Florida shooting]

The contrast in public support for these causes is striking and upsetting, as none of these important causes deserve any less assistance from powerful elites. Although it would be easier to point fingers, the blame for this system is both impossible to place and irrelevant to the issues at hand.

Seriousness and aid cannot be uniquely granted to the movements that cause the least amount of trouble for the people in power. We need to work toward making this country safer for high school students, black Americans and immigrants in tandem and with the gravity that each issues deserves.

Michela Dwyer is a sophomore English and philosophy major. She can be reached at mgdwyer3@gmail.com.