After allowing five runs in one inning against No. 18 East Carolina on March 17, Maryland baseball right-hander Elliot Zoellner racked his mind for potential adjustments that could break him out of his season-long funk.

He remembered playing Wiffle ball with his sidearm-throwing younger brother as a kid, so he told pitching coach Corey Muscara that kind of delivery might lead to improvement. His first bullpen session with the altered windup impressed coaches and teammates.

With little to lose given his 10.13 ERA through seven outings, Zoellner threw sidearm in games against Elon and Stetson this past week. Though his control was shaky at times, he didn’t allow a run and struck out two batters in 2 ⅓ innings.

Zoellner’s much-improved set of breaking pitches offered a glimpse at his potential impact on Maryland’s thin bullpen.

“It was the most incredible thing I’d ever seen,” shortstop AJ Lee said of Zoellner’s initial bullpen session. “The stuff was amazing. It was moving all over the place. So, when we went to Elon, I kind of knew he was going to have success just because he had a fresh start, a head of confidence, and he was ready to go.”

[Read more: Complete-game shutout earns Hunter Parsons Big Ten Co-Pitcher of the Week award]

Maryland’s only well-known bullpen arm entering the season was closer John Murphy, who has met expectations behind a 2.61 ERA. Right-handers Mike Vasturia and Kevin Biondic, the latter hurler a converted first baseman, have stepped up to provide stability to a group that lost eight relievers during the offseason. But beyond that trio, the Terps don’t have a bullpen option with an ERA below 5.60.

The lack of depth heightens the importance of Zoellner’s experimentation.

[Read more: Tyler Blohm’s 12-strikeout gem propels Maryland baseball to 6-1 win vs. Stetson]

Coach Rob Vaughn said he wants to deploy varied pitching characteristics to trip up opposing batting orders. He replaced Vasturia with Zoellner against Elon, knowing Zoellner’s trickery could be an asset. Vasturia uses a traditional windup with a 12-6 curveball. Zoellner’s sweeping breaking balls offered something different.

“It ain’t fun hitting from a guy who’s throwing 87 to 90 [mph] from down there,” Vaughn said. “He’s getting ahead better. He’s spinning a good breaking ball.”

Zoellner’s first two sidearm breaking balls against Elon flew high and outside, a testament to the difficulty he had locating his slider from his new arm slot. But he came back to force Elon right fielder Josh Broughton to pop out before striking out center fielder Zach Evers with the pitch.

He recorded another punchout via the slider against Stetson, showing how effective the offering can be if he gains consistency.

“I honestly just think, ‘Throw a Frisbee.'” Zoellner said. “Try spinning it as much as you can. Start it at a right-handed batter and let it work.”

While Zoellner hasn’t been tested in many tight games, his role could increase with continued success. Maryland, which often leans heavily on its bullpen during midweek contests, faces Richmond on Tuesday.

After struggling to find his command to start college, Zoellner has gone back to the sidearm delivery he used to only mess around with when playing with his brother. The Terps hope the trial gives them a new reliable bullpen piece.

“It’s just like we’re playing a game of Wiffle ball,” Zoellner said. “Just going out there having fun.”