For the first time in nearly two years, the Maryland softball team won a Big Ten series.

In its first conference weekend of the season, the Terps finished a series win over Penn State with a 4-3 victory on Sunday.

That performance came after Maryland earned its first run-rule victory of the year on Saturday, beating the Nittany Lions 8-0 in five innings.

Things began similarly in the series finale. Catcher Anna Kufta gave Maryland the lead with a single in the second inning, and outfielder Kassidy Cross scored another two runs in the fourth with a triple.

Kufta had a breakout weekend, going 4-for-9 with four RBIs. After leading the team in home runs and RBIs last season, she came into the weekend batting just .143 with seven RBIs.

“Anna Kufta is a good hitter who hasn’t been swinging at good pitches,” coach Julie Wright said. “Her pitch selection has been improving a lot the last few weeks.”

Right-hander Sydney Golden, starting for the second game in a row, cruised through five shutout innings and allowed only two hits over that span. But Penn State tied the game in the sixth, scoring three runs against her with two RBI singles and an RBI groundout.

Golden still earned the win thanks to a solo home run from infielder Skylynne Ellazar in the top of the seventh. The run was just the sixth that the Terps have scored in the seventh inning all season and preserved their perfect record when leading after five innings.

“She had her drop ball working and it was nasty,” Wright said. “She’s so even-keel, which is a tremendous quality to have as a pitcher. Nothing can rattle her.”

Ellazar went 3-for-3 with a walk, continuing her hot weekend in which she went 6-for-9 with three RBI and three runs scored.

“Sky has been having a great year. Her preparation has been tremendous.” Wright said. “She’s been handling the pitches she can handle and having great at-bats.”

The win was Maryland’s 12th of the season, more than the squad won all of last year.