Maryland men’s basketball guard Anthony Cowan was named to the All-Big Ten Third Team and Big Ten All-Defensive Team, the conference announced Monday.

Forward Bruno Fernando, meanwhile, earned a spot on the All-Big Ten Freshman Team. Guard Kevin Huerter was named an All-Big Ten Honorable Mention.

Cowan is averaging a team-high 15.7 points while recording the third-most assists per game (5.2) and tying for the third-most steals per game (1.5) in the Big Ten. The sophomore is also playing the most minutes per contest in the conference (37).

[Read more: Mark Turgeon again denies Maryland was involved in Diamond Stone’s alleged payment]

The Bowie native took over Maryland’s point guard duties after guard Melo Trimble departed for the NBA Draft. While Cowan powered Maryland wins at times, he faltered multiple times down the stretch of close games.

For the first time since 2014, no Maryland player made the All-Big Ten First or Second Team. Trimble was named All-Big Ten First Team in 2015, while former guard Dez Wells made All-Big Ten Second Team that year. Trimble was named to the second team in 2016 and first team in 2017.

Fernando is Maryland’s first All-Big Ten Freshman Team member since Trimble in 2015. The Angolan averages 10.2 points per game on 58.5 percent shooting while leading the team in rebounds (6.4) since forward Justin Jackson’s season-ending labrum tear.

Last year, Cowan, Huerter and Jackson didn’t make the All-Big Ten Freshman Team despite starting as rookies, which upset coach Mark Turgeon.

Huerter averages 14.6 points per game and is shooting 42.1 percent from beyond the arc.

No. 8 seed Maryland opens against No. 9 seed Wisconsin in the Big Ten tournament on Thursday afternoon.