“Everybody wants to be famous,” explains Ty Dolla $ign on the opening track of Beach House 3, the 20-track cap to the Beach House mixtape trilogy.

In a period of rising notoriety for Dolla $ign, his latest project is wholly obsessed with the pros and cons of celebrity. “Famous Lies,” “Famous Excuses,” “Famous Friends,” “Famous Amy” and “Famous Last Words”, the short, fleeting interludes the project structures itself around, establish Beach House 3 as a cautionary tale preaching purpose over instant gratification.

Sonically, Dolla $ign’s latest is a 51-minute, genre-bending cocktail of R&B, rock, pop and hip-hop. Despite a perfectly executed “Mustard on the beat, hoe” beat switch on “Love U Better”, “Ex” — a track featuring YG that oozes promiscuity — packs Beach House 3‘s most powerful potential for radio play.

“I just text my main chick,” sings Dolla $ign at his sultriest. “I told her I ain’t coming home.”

It’s an anti-monogamy proclamation, fueled by the perks of celebrity, that the artist himself later refutes on “Lil’ Favorite.” Featuring MadeinTYO, the clapping, catchy track is an anti-Shakespearean ballad of love.

“I’m done with chasing love, I’m fucking with you only,” pleads Dolla $ign with tangible remorse. “I’m trying to make it so I’m down and up your homie.”

Staying in line with the mixtape style that fueled the trilogy, Beach House 3 is headlined by standout tracks with skillfully utilized features. “Dawsin’s Breek,” though not nearly as unbelievably sexual as one might expect a Dolla $ign/Jeremih track would be, finds the two singers beautifully riding the bouncing instrumental that seems destined for a viral music video. “Stare,” featuring Wiz Khalifa at his best and Pharrell Williams continuing his “Neon Guts” vibe, proves that the world truly needs a Skateboard-P-sounding-like-he’s-tripping-acid album.

“Seein’ things isn’t a good enough excuse/ when you are just sitting right there,” sings Williams from what sounds like a realm beyond our universe. “I know you ain’t just gon’ stare.”

“Don’t Judge Me”, featuring hit-making specialists Future and Swae Lee, is the Beach House 3 show-stealer. Succumbing to fame’s downsides, Dolla $ign is noticeably paranoid as he reveals his troubles.

“I can’t trust no one, I can’t trust nobody now,” laments Dolla $ign during an emotional peak. “Only thing they want, only thing they want is money now.”

With multiple albums and mixtapes, countless hook-crooning features and even a supporting role in Snoop Dogg and Wiz Khalifa’s iconic Mac and Devin go to High School, Ty Dolla $ign is indeed famous. Though indulging in the benefits of his status brings ephemeral pleasure, Dolla $ign’s Beach House 3 illustrates the unrelenting permanence of fame’s pitfalls.

3/4 shells