Maryland baseball designated hitter Will Watson arrived at second base, clapped three times and waved toward the dugout.

Watson’s second hit of the afternoon drove in two runs and added to the Terps’ lead late in the seventh inning of Maryland’s 7-1 win over Bryant at Bob “Turtle” Smith Stadium on Friday. His first tied the game at one.

Watson was among the Terps who had success against Bryant left-hander Steve Theetge on an afternoon during which Maryland came from behind to take a lead for the third time in as many days.

“Will was great,” right-hander Brian Shaffer said. “The whole offense toward the end of the game was great. Will was able to pull a few runs out.”

Watson flared a ball into left field to tie the game at one in the sixth, and minutes later, left fielder Madison Nickens hit a sacrifice fly to give Maryland a lead it wouldn’t relinquish.

The Terps offense was eventually able to support Shaffer, who tossed seven innings and allowed five hits and one run with one walk and eight strikeouts. He said he incorporated a changeup to complement his fastball and slider to help keep the Bulldogs off balance.

Shortstop Jimmy Titus gave the Bulldogs a one-run lead with a two-out single in the fourth. But Maryland was able to rally against Bryant’s bullpen.

“Early on in the game, I was able to locate pretty well,” Shaffer said. “I incorporated the changeup today, which is really exciting. I lost it a little bit but then was able to find the strike zone again.”

After loading the bases but failing to score in the fourth, the Terps capitalized on a bases-loaded, no-out situation in the seventh. Led by Watson, Maryland scored three runs in the frame.

Right fielder Marty Costes and center fielder Zach Jancarski added RBI singles in the eighth, while left-hander Andrew Miller, who struck out the side in the eighth, pitched the last innings.

“Andrew was lights out,” Shaffer said. “When he’s on, man he’s unhittable. It’s exciting to watch him. He came out and did his job.”