Even as Maryland women’s basketball’s lead mounted in their 100-44 win Sunday against UMass Lowell, the Terps’ focus never wavered.

The Terps forced 34 turnovers, which led to 48 points. Conversely, they turned the ball over just nine times.

It exemplified the style Maryland stresses: “defense, rebounding and running,” guard Shatori Walker-Kimbrough said after the game. The Terps stayed true to their game plan from the opening tip, executing a sound full court press in the early going.

“We were really aggressive early defensively, able to use our speed and size,” coach Brenda Frese said.

The Terps imposed their will on the River Hawks, showcasing the superior athletic ability that has landed them the No. 6 ranking in the country. UMass Lowell shot just 30 percent from the field. Still, Frese noted that there is room to grow as a team.

“I thought obviously there are many things we can improve on,” the coach said. “We definitely want to keep building and keep getting better in terms of what we’re doing.”

For a team that features a bevy of talented freshmen, the program knows games like Sunday’s are vital to the core’s development.

“At times they showed some nerves,” Frese said. “Overall they showed that they belonged.”

After the game, Walker-Kimbrough iterated that it was important to set the tone from the start. The senior scored Maryland’s first points of the game and tallied 12 of her 14 points in the first quarter.

The Terps also capitalized on their swarming defense. They scored 58 of their 100 points in the paint, remaining aggressive throughout the contest.