Maryland men’s basketball coach Mark Turgeon said Melo Trimble will be fine after the junior guard sprained his ankle in the first half of Saturday’s exhibition against Catawba.

“If this was a real game, he would have kept playing,” Turgeon said. “It’s a Grade 1 sprain. We have to get him ready for Friday. He’ll be fine.”

With about seven minutes before intermission in the Terps’ 95-61 win over Catawba, Trimble appeared to land awkwardly after trying to block a shot from behind. He went to the locker room moments later and did not return to the game.

Trimble did not attempt a shot in the nine minutes he played before the injury. He had two rebounds and two assists but also turned the ball over three times.

After playing point guard the past two seasons, Trimble began Saturday’s game off the ball with freshman guard Anthony Cowan Jr. starting alongside him. The speedy floor general was one of the Terps’ most productive players, scoring 15 points to go along with five assists in 24 minutes.

Freshman forward Justin Jackson, who also finished with 15 points, said Cowan’s leadership as the point guard helps the Terps operate when Trimble isn’t on the floor.

“Melo is a big part of our team, but I feel like we’re so close and we’re so together that if he’s not around, it’s not really that big of a deal.” Jackson said. “All freshmen, we feel like we can come in and make an impact.”

That sentiment held true Saturday, as Cowan, Jackson and fellow rookie Kevin Huerter combined to score 38 points in the blowout victory.

Maryland opens the season at home against American on Nov. 11.