In the 23rd minute of the Maryland men’s soccer team’s game against Delaware on Tuesday, Blue Hens midfielder Carlos Perales sent a cross into the box to forward Guillermo Delgado. Defender Donovan Pines guarded Delgado on the left post, but when Perales’ cross went up, Pines ran toward the middle of the goal.

Pines’ mistake left Delgado open in front of the net, and he headed the ball past goalkeeper Cody Niedermeier for his first of two goals Tuesday.

Coach Sasho Cirovski said defender Alex Crognale’s absence with a minor calf injury was a factor in the defensive lapses. The Terps’ mistakes put them at risk of losing their first match of the season, but Maryland managed a 3-2 victory behind a hat trick from forward Gordon Wild.

Cirovski hopes Crognale is healthy to return when No. 1 Maryland (14-0-2, 6-0-1 Big Ten) plays its final regular-season game at Michigan (3-9-4, 1-5-1) on Sunday. With a win or tie, the Terps will complete their first undefeated regular season since 1968.

“When you have the best center back in the country not playing one of the best forwards in the country, you’re going to be exposed sometimes,” Cirovski said. “Not having Alex was tough, but Donovan did a good job.”

Tuesday marked the second midweek game in the past three weeks Crognale missed. The senior sat out the squad’s match at West Virginia on Oct. 10 due to a minor knee injury. Defender Miles Stray started in place of Crognale, and the Mountaineers attempted 15 shots. Behind a career-high eight saves from Niedermeier, though, the Terps recorded a 1-0 shutout.

Crognale’s 6-foot-5, 201-pound frame makes it difficult for opponents to maneuver past the Terps’ captain. Plus, he’s one of Maryland’s largest offensive contributors, tied for the second-most goals on the team (six). He scored a combined four goals in the past three contests entering Tuesday, all off set pieces.

The Gahanna, Ohio, native’s most crucial score came against Wisconsin on Oct. 14. The Terps were trailing, 2-1, in the 87th minute, but Crognale scored about a minute later in Maryland’s eventual 3-2 win.

The Terps missed those services Tuesday. Pines, a freshman making his second career start, paired with defender Suli Dainkeh in the center back positions.

Cirovski said the Blue Hens are one of the best countering squads in the country, and they exploited Maryland without Crognale. Delaware attempted nine shots and scored again in the 73rd minute to take a 2-1 lead.

Blue Hens forward Marco Siverio passed down the field to Delgado, who sprinted past Pines and Dainkeh. Again with only Niedermeier in front of him, Delgado scored his 11th goal of the season. He’s the second player this year to score two goals against the Terps.

Cirovski knew about Delgado’s talent after Maryland played Delaware in 2015. Though he attempted just one shot on goal in last year’s contest, the senior almost led the Blue Hens to an upset this time.

Delgado “is just a great player,” midfielder Eryk Williamson said. “We try to use Donovan as a second [Crognale]. It’s hard. [Crognale] is really good in the air.”

The Terps attempted 15 shots Tuesday, but without Crognale on set pieces, they had fewer scoring options. When Crognale is playing, though, he eases Maryland’s concerns on both sides of the field.

“There was a little bit missing on the defensive side,” Wild said. “[Crognale] is one of the biggest components on our team. Of course we miss him when he’s not there. Hopefully he’ll be there against Michigan.”