Many of us can probably think back to a time when we were underestimated by someone – whether it was our parents, teachers or friends. Unfortunately, this kind of occurrence is more common for some than others. Dr. Tamika Cross recently reminded everyone of this when she shared her frustrating experience on a Delta Air Lines flight via a Facebook post that has gone viral. Evidently another passenger on board was unresponsive and needed medical attention. Cross, who is an obstetrician gynecologist and a black woman, was only trying to carry out her responsibility as a doctor when a flight attendant told her not to do anything because the passenger was in need of a real physician. Even so, Cross continued to affirm she was in fact a physician, but was met with patronizing remarks by crew members who did not believe her. When she eventually convinced them that she was a doctor, they preceded to question her about her credentials and why she was in Detroit. After that entire fiasco, the flight attendant ended up letting a white male doctor help the sick passenger.

The fact that this whole scenario happened is infuriating. I can only imagine how humiliating it was for Cross to be questioned and for her abilities to be doubted. Cross must have worked extremely hard to go through medical school to become a practicing physician, so to undermine her skills, knowledge and dedication to her job based on her race and gender is an outrageous insult. We have come a long way from the days where only a select few had opportunities for education and a voice in our society. However, this incident has shown there is still clearly much more work to be done.

There needs to be a change in the mindset of the general population. It’s time now to accept the prototypical image of a doctor, lawyer or politician is no longer that of an older white male. People who come from minority backgrounds, like Cross, have just as much potential to achieve success as anyone else. As a woman who aspires to go into the medical field, I am thoroughly ashamed of the fact that other people would think twice before believing Cross was an OB/GYN. Nevertheless, Cross’ story does not dishearten me, nor should it discourage anyone else from pursuing their dreams; if anything, it should inspire everyone (especially minorities) to shatter the stereotypes that have been imposed on us for generations.

Delta Air Lines is now investigating the incident to determine if the crew’s response to Cross was fueled by racial and gender discrimination. Hopefully it won’t take them too long to come to the obvious conclusion.

Asha Kodan is a freshman biology major. She can be reached at ashakodan@ymail.com.