By Ashley O’Connor

The Political Latinxs United for Movement and Action in Society discussed the tense political climate in America — and on college campuses — during their second annual town hall meeting.

About 30 professors and students gathered in Stamp Student Union’s Atrium Tuesday night to hear from five panelists.

PLUMAS members discussed the “Build a Wall” messages that have been chalked on sidewalks around this campus. These pro-Donald Trump messages can offend Latino and Latina students at the University of Maryland, one PLUMAS member said during the event.

Student Government Association President Katherine Swanson said students have come to her with concerns about the Republican nominee.

“Voting has changed from a political decision into a moral decision,” Swanson said.

Trump began his presidential campaign by calling some Mexicans who cross the United States’ border “rapists,” and he has repeatedly talked of building a wall along this country’s southern border.

Delegate Marice Morales said Trump’s words are “an embarrassment.”

“It’s disrespectful to Americans that are proud of living in a country of immigrants,” the Montgomery County Democrat said. “It’s super important that residents outside the Latino community know were not here just for cheap labor — we’re scientists, economists; we’re professionals.”

Chief Diversity Officer Kumea Shorter-Gooden told the group she has similar concerns about the rhetoric of this election.

“I’m worried these events will have a lingering effect,” she said.

Shorter-Gooden has called for more diversity courses to be offered. She said classroom experiences can help students learn how to interact with people who are different than them.

PLUMAS is trying to work with the administration to build a Latinx Cultural Center, which would serve as a safe space for Latino and Latina students.

This university’s Director of Community Engagement Gloria Aparicio Blackwell said she envisions a space that celebrates the art and culture of the Latino community.

The panel also discussed how some students are unaware of support systems available on this campus. One PLUMAS member told the group the LGBT Equity Center had “Coming Out To Your Parents in Spanish” pamphlets that she didn’t know existed.

Even so, Shorter-Gooden said, “We tend to have services that focus on one identity, and aren’t as intersectional as they should be.”

Senior Prabhleen Aneja said she attended the event to gain a new perspective.

“As a person, I think it’s important to be aware of other community’s struggles,” said the global health and women’s studies major.

For PLUMAS President Erica Fuentes, a senior government and politics major, the “hope is to brainstorm ideas to make Latino/a students’ experiences better.”