The Maryland field hockey team cruised to its third victory of the season in their home opener with a 5-1 win over California on Saturday.

The No. 7 Terps (3-2) were in control from the start of the game, scoring less than two minutes into the action and never letting the Golden Bears (0-4) threaten the lead.

“It’s a strong performance,” coach Missy Meharg said. “It was a great statement.”

Forward Welma Luus gave the Terps the early point, scoring off a rebound after California goalkeeper Kori Griswold saved her initial attempt. Luus’ strike was her fifth goal of the year, two more than any other Terp

After being held scoreless as a team for a span of 153 minutes earlier in the year, it was the team’s third goal in just over eight minutes of combined game time. The Terps scored twice in the waning minutes of Sunday’s 3-1 win against Boston College.

Sophomore forward Linnea Gonzales extended the Terps’ lead to two goals about 20 minutes later with a near-post shot that snuck by Griswold’s foot. It was Gonzales’ first goal of the season, after she tied for second on the team with 10 last year in a campaign that earned her Big Ten Freshman of the Year honors.

“She’s been playing in a lot of different positions,” Meharg said. “She has found her home in being a really dominant player right now, for wherever she’s asked to play.”

Gonzales added her second goal about 10 minutes later, scoring off a pass from midfielder Lein Holsboer, who picked up her fifth assist of the season.

Maryland took that 3-0 lead into halftime, but the Golden Bears cut the lead to two with a score less than a minute into the second period.

For a moment, California’s burst reminded the Terps of their loss to Syracuse in the opening weekend. Then, the team played a disappointing second half en route to a 4-1 loss. But Saturday, the team responded with a goal 36 seconds later.

“That was probably a weak piece of our game, coming out [playing well] in the second half,” Meharg said. “We’ll fix that up.”

The score, off midfielder Kelee Lepage’s stick, punctuated a series of eight passes off the restart. Lepage’s point was her first score as a Terp, and a fellow rookie matched her milestone soon after.

On a penalty corner about four minutes after Lepage hit the back of the cage, defender Carrie Hanks whipped the ball toward freshman Sophia Pelzer, who redirected the ball past Griswold for her first college goal.

Maryland has been giving six rookies playing time so far this season, and Lepage and Pelzer’s conversions were the first time any of the newcomers got on the board.

“Sophie Pelzer, Kelee Lepage — these guys are big time goal scorers coming out of their high schools,” Meharg said. “So I’m not surprised. We’re really pleased with the freshmen.”

Saturday, the 29th-year coach was pleased with her team’s performance. They out-shot the Golden Bears, 18-7, including a 9-1 advantage in the first half, and earned seven corners while allowing one.

The control helped Maryland cruise to their most lopsided win since defeating St. Joseph’s, 6-2, in the season opener Aug. 26.

“It’s a great feeling — you want to play better and better and better [as the season goes on],” Meharg said. “We’ve been working a lot on a mindset, and [today] Maryland stepped on the field with the right mindset.”