In defense of pop music

Goutham Ganesan’s article “Turn that noise down” unfairly dismisses popular music. Unlike how Ganesan would malign popular music, I’m not going malign classical music. In fact, I love classical music, and adore the Mahler symphonies. However, I find it troubling to read this article, which is not just an expression of distaste, but a complete dismissal of one genre of music for another.

First, no conclusions can be drawn from the comparison of contemporary pop music and classical music. I would go so far to say that such a comparison is false. How does one choose between two drastically different musical forms, one rooted in African traditions, and the other in European traditions? It seems to me that they are two different animals to be attacked in two different ways, thus making it unfair to draw conclusions about validity between the two. Second, Ganesan states that we are living in “an age when the greatest sin is to make a judgment on someone’s personal preferences.” He goes on to state that classical music “simply cannot be compared to anything modern in terms of melody, harmony, complexity and spiritual and emotional expressiveness.” Unfortunately, few of these qualities are objective. The problem with this argument is that you can’t make someone think Bach’s music is beautiful. You can’t force emotion on someone. And, believe it or not, sometimes sophistication comes off as calculation. Try as we might, beauty is subjective, and it is a personal preference. If art can’t engage, then it can’t affect.

I agree that more students should go see performances at the Clarice Smith Performing Arts Center. Classical music can be beautiful and emotional. But I won’t stand by and let someone tell me that my intellect is lacking because I melt at the sweet melody of “In My Life,” and listen to Revolver 10 times a week.

Nathan ReynoldsJuniorEnglish

No problem with JSU involvement

In the past two issues of The Diamondback, I have come under attack for my letter to the editor, “Elections for Everyone,” or as The Diamondback staff renamed it, “The Jewish Student Union endorses Friedson.” I am sorry for getting the JSU involved with a heated Student Government Association presidential election. God forbid the JSU, one of the largest student groups on the campus, get involved in an election where issues facing the campus are at hand. In the past several days, there have been a few letters to the editor that suggest the JSU, or any SGA-recognized group for that matter, should not have a part in endorsing candidates in the campus-wide elections. In my opinion, that message could not be further from the truth; as a leader on the campus, I expect more from my fellow organizational presidents, campus leaders and alumni.

I truly do want to apologize to anyone who thought I was trying to speak for all the Jewish students at the university; by no means was that my intention. It is also my belief that no organization can speak for any entire group on any issue, whether that group is the JSU, the Latino Student Union, the Black Student Union or the SGA. In addition, I was not trying to endorse any party but merely a single presidential candidate. I have taken the time to learn about all the parties, and I have found that there are valuable and qualified leaders in all the parties running for SGA positions.

Last year, The Diamondback reported a 22 percent voter turnout for SGA elections. While that was a high turnout for the previous five years, I feel it is not high enough. For the university, 22 percent turnout roughly equates to 7,500 students; in my opinion that number is drastically low for a campus of Maryland’s size and proximity to Washington. We need more involvement, from both students and student groups, in the SGA and in issues facing the university. The world we live in is always changing and if we don’t get involved we will have an effect on it. I hope all of you will take a few minutes today or Wednesday to vote and allow your voice to be heard.

Noah AllenPresidentJewish Student Union

Air your views

The Diamondback welcomes your comments. Address your letters or guest columns to the Opinion Desk at opinion@dbk.umd.edu. All letters and guest columns must be signed. Include your full name, year, major and day- and night-time phone numbers. Please limit letters to 300 words. Please limit guest columns to between 600 and 800 words.

Submission of a letter or guest column constitutes an exclusive, worldwide, transferable license to The Diamondback of the copyright in the material in any media. The Diamondback retains the right to edit submissions for content and length.

Policy: The signed letters, columns and cartoon represent only the opinions of the authors. The staff editorial represents the opinion of The Diamondback’s editorial board and is the responsibility of the editor in chief.