Larry Rentz takes part in an ROTC ceremony. Rentz is the first African-American Army ROTC program director in the University of Maryland’s history, and he plans to ingratiate the cadets more into student life than they already are.

The University of Maryland’s Army ROTC branch welcomed the first African-American program director in the school’s history, Lt. Col. Larry Rentz, to its cadre this fall.

As the program director, Rentz, who has served in the Army for more than 20 years, ranks highest in the cadre, said Terrence McCall, this university’s Army ROTC recruiter.

“I’m very happy to be the first African-American [program director],” said Rentz, who served for nine months in Afghanistan between 2012 and 2013. “Giving our cadets exposure to a diverse group of leaders is important to their development.”

Also a former high school music teacher, Rentz said he considers teaching and mentoring his true passions and “jumped at the chance” to combine his military and educational background at this university.

The program distinguished itself from his other options, he said.

“I was not aware until I did research that UMD is a top program,” he said. “It’s outstanding, and there’s a large group of dedicated cadets … that are highly motivated and make my job very easy.”

At the forefront of his agenda, Rentz said he plans to encourage the cadets to gradually involve themselves in campus life just as much as the average student. He added that such integration will help them develop into capable student leaders.

“His intention is to bring ROTC more to the attention of the university,” McCall said. “He wants us to be more a part of the university community.”

To accomplish this, Rentz said he wants the cadets to participate in a breadth of student teams and organizations, citing intramural sports and Title IX educators as two key groups he expects them to join.

He said he also hopes for the cadets to foster stronger relationships with local Junior Army ROTC programs and The National League of POW/MIA Families — an organization in Virginia that works with families with soldiers that remain prisoners of war or missing in action.

“The lessons and values we teach them here are valuable, and they should use those skills as much as they can,” Rentz said. “It helps our students, because it makes them more marketable and ultimately makes them more successful.”

Many Army ROTC students already consider Rentz a strong leader who is capable of helping them succeed, despite his limited interactions with them up to this point.

“He’s the top dog here. His word is law,” said Sean Wallace, a cadet and senior communication major. “He’s been very receptive so far, though, and he’s definitely provided me with a lot of insight already.”

Wallace said he spent two hours talking to Rentz during his first week and noted that in terms of mentorship, Rentz excels.

“Primarily, my focus is on the cadets,” Rentz said. “I want to be sure that when they graduate from the Army ROTC program, they had enough mentorship and guidance on what’s available to them.”

Rentz said he looks forward to the coming year of growth in his new role, adding that at two weeks in, he still has much to learn.

“I want to mentor great leaders for our school and our country,” Rentz said. “The location we’re in lends itself to all kinds of opportunities.”

CORRECTION: Due to an editing error, Lt. Col. Larry Rentz was identified as a former military science professor. Professor of military science is the formal title for program directors, not his former position.