157-pound freshman Justin Alexander attempts to bring his opponent to the ground during Maryland’s 40-3 victory over Alderson-Broaddus on November 2, 2014.

Terrapins wrestler Justin Alexander was suspended after he was accused of assaulting a woman and trying to remove her from her apartment in State College, Pennsylvania, on Saturday.

Alexander turned himself in Thursday and State College Police charged him with misdemeanor accounts of unlawful restraint, terroristic threats, false imprisonment, tampering with fire apparatus, harassment and criminal mischief.

“Justin Alexander has been suspended indefinitely for violating the student-athletic code of conduct,” the athletic department said in a statement Thursday. “We take this matter very seriously and will continue to cooperate with the authorities throughout this process.”

Around 1 a.m. on Saturday, Alexander approached the woman in one of the Beaver Hill Apartments and asked her for directions, State College Police Lieutenant Keith Robb said.

Then, as she tried to assist him, Alexander allegedly assaulted and threatened the woman, who broke free after seeing other residents she knew. Alexander proceeded to pull the fire alarm and flee the building, Robb said. Alexander later turned himself in.

He was arraigned before Magisterial District Judge Carmine W. Prestia on Thursday and released on $10,000 unsecured bail.  

Alexander, a redshirt freshman from Pittsburgh, went 11-5 this season wrestling at 157 and 165 pounds. His brother Geoffrey is also on the team.

Coach Kerry McCoy declined to comment.