University of Maryland Police responded to reports of a fire, theft and a burglary, among other incidents this past week, according to police reports.

Fire

University Police responded to the fourth floor of the chemistry building on Aug. 10 at about 10 a.m. for a report of a fire. A male university student “told officers that [he was] doing an experiment inside one of the machines there,” police spokeswoman Sgt. Rosanne Hoaas said. “During that experiment, something reacted to the chemicals that were being used,” causing a small fire.

The fire department extinguished the flames before police arrived, and no injuries were reported. There was also reported damage to some equipment “pertaining to the fume hood,” Hoaas said.

Vandalism

On Aug. 6 at 8:55 a.m., University Police responded to Commons 3 for a vandalism report. The officer met with the male Commons employee who reported the incident after noticing a hole in the basement wall on the basement level, Hoaas said.

Burglary

University Police responded to the chemistry building on Aug. 9 at about 9 a.m.for a report of an attempted burglary, Hoaas said.

A female university employee reported there was damage to an office door frame and door lock. Nothing was taken from the office.

This case is active.

Theft

University Police responded to Eppley Recreation Center on Aug. 4 at 12:29 p.m. for a report of theft. A man’s property was stolen out of his locker sometime between 11 a.m. and 12:15 p.m, Hoaas said.

It is unknown whether the locker was secure at the time, Hoaas added.