This year’s SGA election turnout was lower than last year, but nearly doubled the turnout of the last uncontested election at the University of Maryland in 2014.

A crowd of about 30 people went to the Nyumburu Amphitheater Monday afternoon to hear the results — that about 6 percent of university students voted to elect Bold Party representatives to the SGA executive board for the 2016-17 academic year.

Katherine Swanson, who ran uncontested, will serve as the Student Government Association president for the 2016-17 academic year. Every position was filled by a Bold Party ticket member.

While this year’s 1,576 voter turnout paled in comparison to last year, which saw 4,256 students come out to vote, SGA adviser Joe Calizo said the turnout was reasonable, and that it’s “probably better than I expected for one party.”

During last year’s election students voted for candidates on one of two party tickets. About 14 percent of the undergraduate population voted then, which is fairly normal for a two-party election where the average turnout hovers around 15 percent of the student body, Calizo told The Diamondback last year.

Elections Board Chairman James Gray also announced that 75 percent of students voted in favor of the SGA providing funding for staff members with MaryPIRG .

“The SGA bylaws,” the ballot read, “require an exemption to be made via referendum in order for any student group to receive funding for staff salaries.”

Even without another party up for election, the Bold Party continued to campaign more so in preparation for the upcoming academic year rather than to secure votes, Swanson said.

“Obviously there wasn’t another party, but that doesn’t change how I’m going to do student outreach,” Swanson said. “The job of student government is to serve the student body and so I don’t know why we wouldn’t go out there and get face to face with students.”

Junior Russian major Samantha Enokian said she did not see the point in voting and that the Bold Party’s campaign was too aggressive for an uncontested election.

“I freaking hate being attacked by people with clipboards on McKeldin when I’m trying to walk to class,” Enokian said. “I wasn’t sure why they were campaigning so much.”

Intimidating or ambushing students was not in the Bold Party’s intentions, Swanson said, noting that, “I’m really sorry if anyone ever felt that way. …That is not how we trained our team to work.”

With the election process now over, AJ Pruitt, vice president of student affairs, said he is excited for the coming year.

“I look forward to serving the student body next year and thank you to everyone who voted,” Pruitt said.