By Brianna Partridge

If you think progressive changes are needed in our nation, you’re in luck: There are ways you can influence change. The most popular action you can take is to vote. However, when we vote and leave the rest to our elected officials, they might not do their part. Too many of them are beholden to corporate and wealthy donors, not to constituents.

So what else can you do?

Participate in activism.

Activism could be the most effective way to get the attention of our lawmakers. Social justice, economic reform, environmental policy change and any other cause you support can progress as a result of your participation.

Student activism historically has been the cornerstone of political, social, environmental and economic change. Students were among those who participated in historic protests, such as Martin Luther King Jr.’s March on Washington and, more recently, the Occupy and Black Lives Matter movements. Thanks to these movements, we have seen progression toward change.

On our campus, we have united against the problems we want to solve. In 2014, after the officer who killed 18-year-old Michael Brown was not indicted, students staged a sit-in at the Stamp Student Union food court to express their dissatisfaction with the American justice system and demand change.

Recently, a mass of students marched to the Main Administration Building to protest the minimum wage for student workers on the campus.

Now comes your chance to make a difference not just in one issue, but also in how the system of democracy works. That’s right: You can help democracy function better and ensure that elected officials listen to you, rather than their wealthy funders.

Democracy Awakening is a mass mobilization in Washington from April 16 to 18 during which thousands will call on policymakers to ensure everyone’s voice is heard by restoring voting rights, limiting money in politics and filling the U.S. Supreme Court vacancy.

Thousands from the East Coast and Midwest will stream into the nation’s capital for the event, which will include a rally, march, teach-ins, lobbying and civil disobedience. So far, more than 240 organizations have signed up to support or attend the landmark mobilization.

With greater access to voting, the voices of more Americans can be heard. With limited campaign spending, wealthy donors and large corporations have less influence over elections and other political activities such as lawmaking. With a new Supreme Court justice, important cases won’t languish due to 4-4 decisions.

Ultimately, Americans would be able to fairly and equally make their voices heard on issues such as criminal justice reform, immigration, climate change, workers’ rights and fair pay, education improvements and a host of other important matters.

However, change cannot happen unless you act.

Democracy Awakening is the perfect opportunity to be a part of the solution.

April 16 is a day of teach-ins, featuring lessons from activists on issues such as money in politics and criminal justice reform. The movement will also hold sessions on how to participate in civil disobedience and protests, which will be a requirement for those who wish to participate in direct action on April 18.

April 17 is rally and march day. There will be musical performances by Aztec Sun, Sweet Honey in the Rock, Rochelle Rice and more. Guest speakers, including Moral Monday architect Rev. William Barber II, NAACP President and CEO Cornell William Brooks and Greenpeace USA Executive Director Annie Leonard, will join participants as we make the movement for democracy heard.

April 18 is a day of the Congress of Conscience. Participants can choose to participate in direct action or advocacy. Direct action participants will participate in civil disobedience (with the small risk of arrest), and advocacy participants will lobby on Capitol Hill.

No matter what cause you are fighting for, whether it be education reform, racial justice, environmental policy or anything else you want to see progress toward change, participating in activism during Democracy Awakening can be the spark that ignites a revolution in our democracy.

University of Maryland students are arranging groups to travel into Washington to participate in all of the events. Please contact Yasmin Shemali at yshemali99@gmail.com or Brianna Partridge at brianna.partridge@gmail.com to learn how you can be involved and to receive important information and updates.

For even more information on Democracy Awakening, please visit democracyawakening.org.

Brianna Partridge is a senior communication major. She can be reached at brianna.partridge@gmail.com.