Team: No. 2-seed Michigan State

Round: Big Ten semifinals

Arena: Bankers Life Fieldhouse

Tip-off: 3:30 p.m.

Broadcast: CBS

Momentum: The No. 3-seed Terps broke out of a six-game slump Friday with a convincing 97-86 win over No. 11-seed Nebraska in the Big Ten quarterfinals. The Terps entered as losers of four of their last six but led for double digits for most of the second half. Michigan State is on a seven-game winning streak which includes a win over No. 10 Indiana on Feb. 14. The Spartans crushed Ohio State, 81-54, on Friday in their quarterfinal matchup.

Two Terps to watch

Forward Jake Layman poured in a season-high 26 points against the Cornhuskers and had a couple crucial rebounds late. The senior has been on an offensive tear lately. He’s had 15 points or more in the four of the Terps’ past five games. The lanky 6-foot-9 forward also continued to play solid defense. If Layman is hot and knocks down a couple 3-pointers, he adds another dimension to the offense.

Guard Melo Trimble has been continuing to break out of his February funk the past few games. He went 6-for-13 from the field against the Cornhuskers with eight assists to just two turnovers. If the Terps want to beat the Spartans, Trimble will likely need continue to improve from the field.

Two Spartans to watch

Guard Denzel Valentine had 17 points and eight assists Friday against Ohio State and is the Spartans’ top offensive threat. The 6-foot-5 senior leads the Big Ten with 19.6 points per game. While Terps guard Rasheed Sulaimon will likely draw Valentine, limiting Valentine will take a team effort, forward Damonte Dodd said Friday.

Forward Matt Costello had a key offensive rebound late in the Spartans’ 74-65 win over the Terps on Jan. 23. While he averages 10.4 points per game, third on the team, he will look to harass Terps freshman center Diamond Stone and forward Robert Carter Jr. In the previous meeting, Costello, who’s 6-foot-9, helped limit Stone to six points.

Predictions:

Phillip Suitts: Michigan State 74, Terps 66. Maryland falls to the Spartans for the second time this season

Josh Needelman: Michigan State 80, Maryland 67. The Terps’ hot shooting from Friday cools off and the defense’s struggles continue.

Ryan Baillargeon: Maryland 72, Michigan State 68. The Terps advance to the Big Ten finals behind a stout defensive performance.

For updates: Follow beat writers Ryan Baillargeon (@RyanBaillargeon), Phillip Suitts (@PhillipSuitts), columnist Joshua Needelman (@JoshNeedelman) and DBK Sports (@DBKSports) on Twitter for live in-game news and commentary.