University System of Maryland Chancellor Robert Caret addressed the University Senate yesterday afternoon, outlining his main priorities to advance the state’s higher education system, which include making its education affordable and high quality.

At his first meeting with the senate since he became system chancellor in July, Caret emphasized the importance of the state budget in system institutions’ success in education and construction, his goal with

Gov. Larry Hogan to increase graduation rates and how there should be a continued emphasis on creating well-educated citizens.

He also expressed the Board of Regents’ support of the state Senate bill, with its latest amendments, for a strategic partnership between this university and the University of Maryland, Baltimore.

“The Maryland we have today is largely there because of the University System of Maryland,” Caret said. “But more importantly, the Maryland any of us see in the future is never going to be the Maryland we see without the University System of Maryland.”

Much of the system’s success rides on state funding, he explained, which he said is why he is fighting to bring more money to the system to bring down student costs and improve the state’s economy.

“The cost of the student is going up dramatically, something I think we need to fight,” Caret said, highlighting the system’s mission to bring accessible, quality education to state residents.

However, he pointed out that this state is one of the better ones when it comes to higher-education funding. The system still receives about 50 percent of its funding for the education portion of its budget from the state, Caret said. He added that he continually reminds the state legislature when budget cuts come around that $1 to the system gives back about $6 in productivity.

“We’re the ones that are going to help you come out of these economic doldrums,” Caret said.

Calling himself a “data guy,” Caret praised this university for its successes over the “last 150 years or so,” including the high graduation rate, increased fundraising for large developments and recognition for programs such as entrepreneurship.

Caret, who previously served as Towson University’s president and the University System of Massachusetts’ chancellor, noted he is visiting all 12 system campuses because he finds it valuable to speak to the many different players in the system.

“I have always believed that faculty, staff, students and particularly academic senates need to have a voice as it relates to how institutions operate,” Caret said. “I do feel I shouldn’t be listening just to the presidents; I’d like to be listening to everyone to the extent that I can.”

University President Wallace Loh said he is pleased to see Caret is ready to delve into the important issues that universities are facing.

“It’s good that he is going around visiting every campus in the system,” Loh said. “Though he has visited the College Park campus, we appreciate the fact that he took the time to say ‘hello’ and meet with the [University] Senate.”

The chancellor’s talk about how well-rounded, educated citizens in the workplace will be the ones who can solve the most telling problems of today also resonated with Kent Cartwright, an English professor and senate member who has been a proponent of a liberal education.

“It’s hard to find a successor for Brit Kirwan, but he looks like a worthy one,” said Cartwright. “I’m optimistic.”