After suffering a narrow defeat to Georgetown on Friday and a nine-run loss to Monmouth on Saturday morning, the Terrapins softball team desperately wanted to turn things around.

Despite an offensive outburst, the Terps fell to George Washington, 9-7, on Saturday afternoon. The team was undone by defensive mistakes and an off-game from starting pitcher Madison Martin.

Martin, who entered the game with a 1.70 ERA, pitched 3.1 innings and gave up six runs.

Utility player Hannah Dewey jumpstarted the Terps’ offensive effort by hitting a two-run first inning double into the right-center field gap.

George Washington briefly tied the score in the bottom-half of the inning, but the Terps reclaimed the lead in the second with RBI hits from infielders Skylynne Ellazar and Corey Schwartz.

Fielding mishaps cost the Terps. In the third, a misjudged fly ball resulted in two unearned runs for George Washington.

Outfielder Sarah Calta, who’s struggled to get on base this season, led off the fourth with a triple. She scored on a sacrifice fly from outfielder Kylie Datil to give the Terps a 5-4 advantage.

George Washington punched back with a leadoff blast to start the fourth. The Colonials then took the lead with a double off relief pitcher Brenna Nation, and added a two-run RBI off Dewey to go ahead 8-5.

In the sixth, a two-run double off the bat of Ellazar brought the Terps within striking distance at 9-7. But they went down in order in the seventh to end the game.

The Terps will finish their set of games in Washington tomorrow morning with a matchup against Columbia, which beat the Terps twice last weekend. A win against the Lions would give the Terps (5-13) their first win of the tournament.