The Terrapins softball team needed one hit to beat No. 5 Alabama early Friday afternoon after loading the bases with two outs in the bottom of the seventh inning.

But infielder Lindsey Schmeiser, who came into the Georgia State tournament with the best batting average in program history (.342), popped out to end the game.

The 1-0 loss was the Terps’ second near-win over a top-ten team in the last week – last Saturday, the Terps fell just short against No. 6 Oregon.

Utility player Hannah Dewey pitched five innings and allowed one unearned run to keep the Terps close. She received defensive help from outfielder Destiney Henderson in the fourth inning when the sophomore robbed a home run in center field.

The Terps offense came to life in the final inning after managing only two hits through the first six frames.

Catcher Kristina Dillard led off the bottom of the seventh with a single up the middle, and with two outs Jordan Aughinbaugh drew a walk to put the tying run in scoring position. Henderson poked a single up the middle, but the ball didn’t travel far enough to bring Dillard home from second base.

Schmeiser could not finish the job, though, and Alabama pitcher Alexis Osorio escaped the bases-loaded jam to notch her first save of the season.

In the second game of the afternoon, Georgia State did what the Terps failed to do earlier by hitting a walk-off single in the bottom of the seventh to claim a 4-3 win.

The game started well for the Terps, and infielder Sklynne Ellazar continued her hot start to the season with a first inning RBI single to give the Terps an early advantage.

Pitcher Brenna Nation allowed two runs in the fifth to give Georgia State a 2-1 lead, but Dewey and infielder Corey Schwartz answered right back with RBI hits in the sixth to put the Terps up 3-2.

Georgia State then rallied in the seventh to win and spoil Nation’s bid for her first win of the season.

After scoring only three runs in two games Friday, the Terps (2-5) will try to get their offense on track against Miami (OH) and Mercer on Saturday afternoon.