Terrapins baseball left-hander Robert Galligan had pitched just 10.2 innings in college entering last season, so after throwing 62.1 innings in 2015 — the most of any reliever on the team — coach John Szefc thought Galligan needed a break.

Galligan, who dealt with shoulder pain at the end of the season, created a training program with the coaching staff to lift weights while keeping his arm fresh over the summer. So while his teammates played in summer leagues around the country this offseason, Galligan had the chance to rest his arm for the first time since his junior season began.

The Syosset, New York, native wasn’t the only consistent starter who took a break from the game over the summer, though.

Outfielder Anthony Papio, who recorded 553 at-bats the past three years, was set to play his final summer league season in North Carolina. But after tabbing a career-high 233 at-bats last season, Papio and Szefc agreed the redshirt senior didn’t need practice at the plate over the summer.

The moves paid off.

Now, six months after most college summer ball leagues ended, Papio and Galligan said they feel great as opening day approaches Feb. 19.

“You just have to have trust in what you decide,” Galligan said. “I had 100 percent trust in myself and the coaching staff that this was the best decision for me and that they’re going to make me the best to my max potential. My arm feels really, really good.”

Summer teams play about 45 contests over two months, which Papio said can be a grueling schedule following the spring season.

Galligan and Papio played in summer leagues each year previously, but to eliminate pain and fatigue from the spring season, they focused on the weight training and conditioning plans the coaching staff specialized for the pair. And when the Terps picked up fall training, Galligan and Papio felt none of the backlash from the previous season, which extended into June with the team’s second straight trip to the NCAA Super Regionals.

Summer ball “is definitely a grind,” Papio said. “Now I’m in the best shape of my career. It’s nice to get a little break and take a little time off every once in a while to give your mind a little rest. Now we got back into it.”

While Galligan and Papio’s breaks have paid off, continuing to play games over the summer is the best option for others.

Catcher Nick Cieri, who appeared in 37 of the Terps’ 66 bouts last season, played for the Wareham Gatemen in the Cape Cod Baseball League. He said summer ball is one of the few times he can focus on improving without dealing with the pressure to perform for playing time. Plus, the junior said his team rotated among three catchers, so he didn’t feel physically burned out by the end of the campaign.

Though Cieri said playing so many games can be mentally challenging, he’s more confident entering this season after working on his weaknesses in the offseason. Szefc chooses about 10 summer league teams he has good relationships with to ensure his players aren’t overworked.

“Health has a lot to do with it,” Szefc said. “Is the pitcher healthy? Is a position player ready to play? It’s based on every individual. It’s not a one-size-fits-all kind of thing.”

The past two seasons, the Terps fell one series victory short of the program’s first College World Series appearance. To reach that stage this year, Szefc wants his players to be in their best shape come spring.

For some, that involves playing between four and six games per week over the summer. For others, like Galligan and Papio, giving their bodies a break is the best course.

This season, Szefc said he wants Galligan and Papio to lead the team at their respective positions. And with the Terps’ first contest against Alabama 15 days away, neither player regrets the precautions he took over the summer.

“It was to make sure I’m 100 percent this year so we could hit the ground running in the fall and then in the spring,” Galligan said. “Everything feels good, and I’m ready to rock.”