Students might notice some changes to the University of Maryland campus as they prepare for the spring semester, including a completed Tawes Hall renovation and continued progress on other construction projects.

Tawes Hall

The $15.9 million renovation project for Tawes Hall was finished ahead of schedule, said Bill Olen, capital projects director. The project was completed by the end of the fall semester.

“We now have six brand new classrooms, four that were available for finals for fall session,” Olen said.

A cafe was added on the second floor of the building, and the American studies department moved its offices from Susquehanna Hall to Tawes Hall during the first week of January.

Cole Field House

Cole Field House renovations have begun but won’t be noticeable on the outside until spring, Olen said. The project is estimated to cost $147.4 million, according to the university facilities website.

Construction crews completed some of the renovations to relocate university employees with offices in Cole Field House, Olen said.

The top floor has already been renovated.

Stamp Student Union

The construction project in Stamp Student Union will affect the Student Involvement Suite and student organization offices. The renovation project has started and should be completed by July.

The project will cost $3 million and renovate 12,000 square feet of space, Olen said.

Other projects

Renovation of the ground floor of the Reckord Armory has continued for the ROTC programs. It should be completed this May and is primarily used by Air Force and Navy programs, Olen said.

Cambridge Hall construction is on schedule to be completed by July, Olen added.

Olen also said the $115 million Edward St. John Learning and Teaching Center project is on schedule to continue until January 2017.

Clark Hall, a $169.9 million project, is set to be finished in June of 2017, according to Olen.

“For the St. John Center, the shell is up and they are putting glass in the windows,” Olen said. “The Clark Hall site is up to the third floor of the building.”

CORRECTION: Due to an editing error, the photo caption for this story previously stated the renovation would bring five new classrooms to Tawes Hall. Tawes will have six new classrooms. The article has been updated.