Terrapins football defensive coordinator Scott Shafer agreed to a three-year, $2.25 million deal, according to a Memorandum of Understanding signed Jan. 1. The Diamondback obtained a copy of the agreement through a public records request.

For the past three seasons, Shafer served as the head coach at Syracuse, but he was fired this fall. Shafer had previously been the Orange’s defensive coordinator for four seasons. He was also the defensive coordinator at Michigan (2008) and Stanford (2007), among other schools.

Shafer will earn $500,000 the first year, $1 million the second season and $750,000 in the final year. The annual base salary remains at $400,000 all three years, but the annual supplemental income varies. It’s paid in quarterly installments.

Shafer can also make up to $65,000 in bonuses per year, including $20,000 if the Terps win the Big Ten Championship and $25,000 for making the national championship.

If Shafer terminates the contract before the final year, he’ll owe this university half of his base salary ($200,000). If he terminates the contract after Jan. 1, 2018, he’ll be responsible for 25 percent of his annual base salary ($100,000).

The Terps can terminate the deal without cause but will have to continue paying him his annual base salary until the end of the contract. In that situation, if Shafer obtains a job before the original contract is up, that will reduce this university’s payments to him.

Shafer gets six tickets to every football game, including postseason games. He’ll also receive four tickets to every regular-season men’s and women’s basketball home game. He will be reimbursed up to $17,000 and 30 hotel nights for moving expenses and receive a $500 monthly car stipend.