University of Maryland students lucky enough to receive hoverboards for Christmas might have to resort to other modes of transportation when they return to the campus.

The two-wheeled, self-balancing device, which was a holiday hit but also occasionally causes intense fires, is no longer welcome in dorms or the Courtyards and South Campus Commons apartments, according to emails sent to residents Tuesday.

Based on advisories by the University Fire Marshal’s Office and the Consumer Product Safety Commission, Resident Life and management from Courtyards and Commons decided “to prohibit the use, possession, charging, and/or storage of electronic skateboards including self-balancing hover boards/scooters and other similar equipment” in their facilities, Keira Martone, Resident Life assistant director for student conduct, wrote in the email.

This prohibition follows in the steps of George Washington and American universities, which are among more than 20 colleges nationwide that have banned the board.

Hoverboards have been linked to several house fires; overheating batteries seem to be the culprits. These incidents have occurred whether or not the boards were plugged in to charge.

Martone instructed students with hoverboards to leave them at home, or arrange to remove them from their campus housing if they’re already here.

So don’t bother packing up your PhunkeeDuck or Swagway; it looks like you’ll have to rely on your trusty Razor scooter for another semester.