Bookholders sells Route 1 apparel which is marketing the Hogan Strong clothing line in support of Maryland Governer Hogan who was diagnosed with cancer last month.

A clothing company with campus ties debuted last month a new T-shirt rallying support for Gov. Larry Hogan, who is undergoing treatment for stage three non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma, an aggressive cancer of the lymph nodes.

University alumna-owned Route One Apparel launched its new “Hogan Strong” T-shirts three days after Hogan announced his diagnosis June 22. The shirts, now accompanied by tank tops and bumper stickers, feature a ribbon patterned after the quad-colored state flag above the slogan “Hogan Strong.”

“This design was really a collaborative effort by designers, staff and customers,” said Ali von Paris, founder and owner of Route One Apparel and a 2012 university alumna. “Customers submitted a request for Hogan support shirts on our Route One Apparel Facebook page.”

One of those customers, Taylor Roland, of Elkton, was the first to suggest a shirt in support of Hogan’s fight against cancer.

“Honestly, if anyone could do it, it would be Route One Apparel,” Roland said. “They bring Maryland together.”

Though Route One’s involvement all started with a simple Facebook post – “We’re rooting for your full recovery, Larry Hogan!” – the apparel company is now in the midst of a civic support effort focused on the governor, von Paris said.

“All of Route One Apparel’s products are part of a movement,” she said. “Everything we make is related to the community as a whole.”

The response to the shirts has been amazing, von Paris said, and the Route 1-based shop isn’t just distributing them to the College Park crowd.

“Larry Hogan’s campaign has requested and received 25 ‘Hogan Strong’ shirts,” she said.

The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society will receive $5 from each purchase of “Hogan Strong” items, which cost $8 for bumper stickers and $25 for shirts and tank tops. The society funds research for the diseases and helps accommodate treatments for patients with similar diagnoses as that of the governor.

With statewide and national support — New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie reportedly has been sporting a lime-green “Hogan Strong” bracelet sold by Change Maryland’s Honganstrong.com – Hogan feels very appreciative.

“The governor is just so grateful for all of the love and support,” said Erin Montgomery, Hogan’s press secretary. “The prayers and ‘get well’ wishes mean everything to him.”

The “Hogan Strong” products can be purchased online at Routeoneapparel.com. Route One Apparel products are also sold at more than 30 different retail locations, as well as Thursday through Saturday at Route One’s outlet store located in the Ashland Marketplace Shopping Center

in Cockeysville.

Though Roland has yet to buy one of the “Hogan Strong” T-shirts she helped inspire, she plans to purchase one in the near future and hopes family and friends will follow suit.

“You can’t go wrong with the Maryland flag,” Roland said.