Some come to enjoy the classic games; some want to try a new or obscure challenge; others just want a cup of coffee before class; but patrons on Tuesday night agreed on one thing: If you’re looking for a fun atmosphere to play a game while grabbing a bite, The Board and Brew is the place to be.

The new cafe opened under The Varsity on Monday and features a wall of about 600 board games for customers to enjoy while they try the wide variety of coffee, espresso, small plates and sandwiches the cafe offers.

“The idea is just to create a really great hangout place, kind of a lounge-y local cafe-type feel — something that’s really chill,” owner Ben Epstein said.

Epstein and co-owner Brian McClimens, both university graduates, came up with the idea for The Board and Brew three years ago after noticing a void in the city’s entertainment scene.

“For people who don’t necessarily want to get drunk, there’s not a lot of great entertainment around here, especially if you don’t drive,” Epstein said.

The Board and Brew is open until 11 p.m. on weeknights and 2 a.m. on weekends. Every table was full on opening night from 5 p.m. until close, Epstein said.

“It makes me super happy, and it makes me wish I was a freshman again,” said 2014 alumna Carly Davis, who expects the cafe to be successful with its college-aged audience. “It’s a nice gathering place.”

Epstein said he plans on getting a liquor license to serve craft beer and wine, but he doesn’t want The Board and Brew to become a bar.

People donated about 100 games to the cafe, and the owners bought the rest wholesale, Epstein said. The colorful wall of games is organized alphabetically and also features a recommended list of the most popular games, as well as a wish list of games that people want the cafe to buy.

For a $5 fee, patrons can play childhood favorites such as Yahtzee, Uno, Monopoly and Clue, as well as newer adult games such as Cards Against Humanity and a variety of strategy and adventure-themed games.

Davis said the huge wall of games brings her back to her childhood.

“You know when you’re in kindergarten and you’re really small,

and there’s a big shelf with all these toys and they’re all colorful and everything? That’s kind of how I feel here; it’s just a big shelf of stuff to play with,” she said.

For sophomore mechanical engineering major Raphael Elpas, The Board and Brew offers an opportunity to try new games.

“I want to come here to play specialty games because those you don’t find them anywhere,” he said.

The cafe also boasts a variety of unique artisan espresso drinks such as a blueberry muffin latte and creamsicle latte. Barista Jesse Folks said he believes this will draw in a big morning crowd once the fall semester rolls around.

“When the quality of our espresso gets out, that’s what everybody at UMD needs,” he said. “Normally you have to travel into D.C. and pay six a cup for the stuff.”

The cafe hosts an open-mic night every Tuesday. The inaugural open-mic night featured professional musician Rob Hinkal, a member of the band ilyAIMY.

“We just thought it would be a good fit because we’ve already got the comfortable seating, and I think we’ve got the right atmosphere for it,” Epstein said.

Epstein said they had planned to open during the spring semester, but a series of setbacks pushed the opening to June.

While he was hoping to open when more students were in College Park, he said the summer opening offers the benefit of getting to settle in and make sure everything’s in order before the “craziness of the school year.”

College Park economic development coordinator Michael Stiefvater said he is optimistic about The Board and Brew’s future.

“It kind of blends together two things that College Park is missing,” he said.

“An independent coffee shop for people to hang out, study, read and relax. It also has the entertainment factor with being able to play board games with their friends. I think they’ll do well, kind of a unique place that will make College Park more exciting.”