Kaitlyn Schmeiser

The Terrapins softball team split two games Friday in the first day of the Florida Atlantic Tournament in Boca Raton, Fla.

The Terps (1-6) suffered a 3-1 loss to Mississippi State in their first game, their sixth in a row to start the season. Pitcher Hannah Dewey, who gave up three runs in three innings, made the start for the Terps. Pitcher Brenna Nation replaced Dewey and pitched four shutout innings of relief.

The Terps continued their struggles at the plate, managing only four hits. Their 0-6 start tied for the worst opening to a season since 1995.

The Terps finally picked up their first win of the season later Friday with an 8-4 victory against South Carolina. The Terps didn’t waste any time to find success, either, as they scored three runs in the first two innings.

A team prone to giving up big innings early this season, the Terps had one of their own in the fourth. Their five runs in the inning gave them an 8-0 lead.

The Gamecocks added four runs later in the game, but it wasn’t enough. Pitcher Kaitlyn Schmeiser silenced the Gamecocks early in the game, shutting them out for the first four innings.

The Terps will look to build on their first win as they continue tournament play Saturday. They play South Carolina again at 12:30 p.m. before squaring off with Florida Atlantic at 5:30 p.m.