During the offseason, Maryland men’s basketball coach Mark Turgeon overhauled a majority of his team. What he built is one of the tallest, most athletic and talented squads seen in College Park in years.

After retooling their lineup ahead of the 2021-22 season, the Terps can officially say they’re on the national radar, voted No. 21 in the preseason AP Poll.

The Terps are joined by No. 6 Michigan, No. 7 Purdue. No. 11 Illinois and No. 17 Ohio State as Big Ten representatives in the top 25. Maryland finds a spot in the preseason poll for just the fourth time in the past 16 years.

Turgeon’s squad will have home and away matchups with the Fighting Illini and the Buckeyes in the regular season and one away meeting each with the Wolverines and Boilermakers. Maryland will also face Michigan State, Indiana and Rutgers, all receiving votes in the poll, twice this year.

[New-look Maryland men’s basketball ramps up preseason with strong bond already built]

Non-conference play for the Terps is highlighted by a spot in the Baha Mar Hoops Bahamas Championship, a Big Ten/ACC Challenge matchup against Virginia Tech and a date with Florida at the Barclays Center on Dec. 12.

Maryland welcomed back three veterans this year in Eric Ayala, Donta Scott and Hakim Hart, expected to be the core group of leaders for the campaign. That trio brings the most experience in a Terp uniform. But after an active offseason in the transfer portal, there is no shortage of talented newcomers.

Fatts Russell and Qudus Wahab are anticipated to elevate the starting rotation after the departures of Darryl Morsell, who transferred to Marquette, and Aaron Wiggins, who was selected in the NBA draft.

Maryland begins its campaign hosting Quinnipiac on Nov. 9, looking for its eighth consecutive win in season-openers.