Natasha Hampton, who was set to become the next city manager of College Park, is looking for answers after the city terminated her employment three days before she was set to start, according to a news release.

The city council unanimously terminated Hampton before she was scheduled to begin her role on June 1. Mayor Patrick Wojahn and City Attorney Suellen Ferguson notified Hampton by phone, according to the release.

The city did not provide a reason for her termination, but Hampton speculates her involvement in a confidential Equal Employment Opportunity Commission settlement with her previous employer in Rocky Mount, North Carolina, could be a factor.

Search firm Baker Tilly questioned Hampton about the settlement after her hiring, weeks before her termination. Her previous employer shared details of the settlement in the news, despite its confidentiality, according to the release.

“The irony of the situation … is that maintaining the confidentiality of the agreement protects my former employer and current city employees who were named in the EEOC charge, not me,” Hampton said in the release.

[College Park City Council names Natasha Hampton next city manager]

Hampton has filed a Freedom of Information Act request with the city of College Park and is requesting transparency and communication regarding her employment agreement in a public forum.

“While I respect city council’s authority in this matter I do believe that the public deserves to know the truth … and I do too,” Hampton said in the release.

Hampton would have been the first woman and person of color to fill the city manager position.

When reached by The Diamondback, Wojahn did not immediately provide comment.