Maryland field hockey announced that attacking midfielder Julianna Tornetta has transferred to the program. The Plymouth Meeting, Pennsylvania, native comes to College Park after three seasons at Princeton.

Tornetta, a National Field Hockey Coaches Association All-American in 2018 and 2019 and three-time All-Ivy League First Team honors recipient, started in all 60 matches of her career at Princeton. She collected 18 goals and 33 assists over her three seasons with the Tigers.

Earlier this year, Tornetta was named to the USA Women’s National Squad. She just returned from Belgium and England, where she competed in the FIH Hockey Pro League alongside Terps Brooke DeBerdine, Emma DeBerdine, Riley Donnelly, Kyler Greenwalt and Margot Lawn. 

During her time at Princeton, Tornetta and the Tigers reached back-to-back Final Fours in 2018 and 2019, along with an appearance in the national title game.

[Bibi Donraadt’s Dutch roots helped her become a star for Maryland field hockey]

She headed to New Jersey from Agnes Irwin High School, just outside Philadelphia, after her older sister, Sophia, also played field hockey for Princeton and was the 2015 Ivy League Rookie of the Year.

After the Ivy League canceled all of its sports seasons this academic year, Tornetta will use her fourth and final year of eligibility in College Park while working on her master’s degree in business and management at the university’s business school.

“The team, coaches and atmosphere of the school in general seems like an incredible place to spend the extra year of field hockey that COVID has given me, and I’m extremely excited to continue my education at the Smith School of Business,” Tornetta said in a press release.