Para leer este artículo en español, haga clic aquí.

The University of Maryland will hold in-person commencement on May 21 at Maryland Stadium, according to a letter from university President Darryll Pines provided to The Diamondback.

The in-person commencement will be split into two separate ceremonies, and students will be assigned to a ceremony based on their school or college, according to the letter. Graduates will be allowed to bring two guests. The ceremonies will also be livestreamed on the university’s commencement website

The university is also welcoming students who graduated during the spring and winter 2020 semesters to join the in-person ceremonies, the letter read. Additional details about tickets, regalia and safety measures are also available on the university’s commencement website.

Peter Chapman, the president and CEO of College Park-based quantum computing company IonQ, will deliver the commencement address, Pines wrote in a email Wednesday. Chapman previously worked as the engineering director for Amazon Prime.

The university worked with Prince George’s County to determine the best course of action for holding in-person commencement ceremonies, the letter read. Pines also encouraged students to continue practicing safety guidelines to ensure successful ceremonies. 

[Here’s a breakdown of the latest curriculum additions to UMD’s University Honors program]

On Tuesday, some students received emails from the university’s special events office explaining the commencement decision. The university received confirmation from the county that an in-person commencement could occur on Tuesday, according to university spokesperson Katie Lawson.

Individual college ceremonies, which will be held on May 20, will remain virtual. Graduates will also receive care packages in May. 

“We recognize the significance of an in-person event to celebrate our graduates’ proud achievements, and we are happy to be able to offer this option with health and safety top of mind,” Pines wrote in the letter.

This story has been updated.