After a decade of service in the College Park Shopping Center, Krazi Kebob will close its doors on Dec. 20.

The eatery is among a strip of other businesses that will be demolished to make way for an apartment complex from Greystar Real Estate Partners. Insomnia Cookies and 7-Eleven will also be demolished.

Krazi Kebob owner Nomie Hamid opened his restaurant 10 years ago as a 24-year-old. At first, hearing about the development plans was difficult, Hamid said. He anticipated separation anxiety but knew that things like this happen.

[Student housing affordability in College Park isn’t likely to improve soon, officials say]

“With every missed opportunity comes bigger and better opportunities as well,” Hamid said. “We’re hoping that this will bring greater opportunities to our front door.”

Allegra White, a senior physiology and neurobiology major at the University of Maryland, is surprised to see the restaurant go.

White got a job at Krazi Kebob in September after leaving Lotsa Stone Fired Pizza — another business that will be demolished for the development — in the spring, about the time the pandemic spurred business and school closures. 

[Marathon Deli is moving to a new location — but it’s just around the corner]

“I’m just nervous that … if we shut down due to COVID again, it’s going to be way harder to get a job next semester,” White said.

Hamid is actively looking for new restaurant spaces but will continue catering after the new year.

“We’re gonna wait a little bit, let College Park develop a little too and [see] if it will be a good fit for us to come back,” Hamid said.