Three-star guard Aquan Smart joins Maryland men’s basketball 2020 recruiting class

Mark Turgeon high-fives one of his players during Maryland men's basketball's 77-66 win over Northwestern on Jan. 21, 2020. (Julia Nikhinson/The Diamondback)

Aquan Smart — a three-star guard from Skokie, Illinois — has committed to Maryland men’s basketball, he announced on Twitter Sunday night.

247Sports ranks Smart the No. 353 overall recruit in the 2020 class. The 6-foot-3 guard is the No. 32 combo guard in the nation and No. 8-ranked player in Illinois. Smart was previously committed to East Tennessee State, but re-opened his recruitment in December. Smart received interest from California, Indiana and Texas, per @okonscoutnews on Twitter.

Smart made an official visit on Feb. 18 and watched the Terps beat Northwestern 76-67. Maryland offered Smart a scholarship shortly before the game — his first high-major offer. He committed days later.

The guard is just the second recruit in Maryland’s 2020 class, joining fellow three-star guard Marcus Dockery. The duo will look to fill the Anthony Cowan’s void after he graduates. Cowan set a Maryland record Wednesday night when he started in his 127th consecutive game. Smart, Dockery, and guard Hakim Hart project to compete for Cowan’s spot in the starting lineup.

Please support our journalism by donating to The Diamondback.

Recommended Articles