University of Maryland Police responded to reports of DUI/DWI, public urination, thefts and CDS violations in the past week.

DUI/DWI

A University Police officer stopped a silver sedan for traffic violations near University Boulevard and Metzerott Road at about 1 a.m. on Sept. 9.

The officer observed an odor of alcohol on the driver’s breath and administered field sobriety tests, police spokesperson Sgt. Rosanne Hoaas wrote.

Police arrested and charged Amado Esquivel, 42, of Silver Spring, with driving under the influence, driving while impaired and additional traffic citations, Hoaas wrote.

This case is closed.

Public urination

A University Police officer observed a male student urinating in public in the 4500 block of Knox Road near College Park City Hall at about 12:30 a.m. on Sept. 8, Hoaas wrote.

The student was issued a civil citation for public urination and the case was referred to the Office of Student Contact, Hoaas wrote.

This case is closed.

Thefts

University Police responded to Lot 11B for a report of a stolen scooter on Sept. 8, at about 9 a.m.

A female student reported that her blue scooter was stolen sometime between Sept. 7 and Sept. 8, Hoaas wrote.

While responding to the report, a different female approached the officer and said she saw a scooter in the grass along the Paint Branch Trail, which was identified as the stolen scooter by the owner.

Police processed the scooter for fingerprints and no fingerprints were found, Hoaas wrote. The owner of the scooter was notified and retrieved the scooter.

Police are reviewing surveillance video of the area, and this case is active.

At about 9 p.m. on Sept. 9, University Police responded to Denton Dining Hall for reported laptop thefts.

Two male employees said their laptops were stolen from their lockers, which were not locked, Hoaas wrote.

This case is active.

CDS Violations

University Police responded to CDS violations on Sept. 8 in Cumberland Hall and on Sept. 9 in Ellicott Hall.

At about 12:30 a.m. on Sept. 8, University Police responded to Cumberland Hall. The officer spoke with both residents of the room, who both admitted to smoking marijuana, Hoaas wrote.

One of the residents gave the officer a small amount of marijuana and a search of the room found an additional small amount of marijuana and drug paraphernalia, Hoaas wrote.

Both students were issued civil citations for possessing less than 10 grams of marijuana and the incident was referred to the Office of Student Conduct.

This case is closed.

The next day, at about 7:30 p.m., University Police responded to Ellicott Hall. A male resident of the room admitted to smoking marijuana and turned over a small amount of marijuana to the officer.

The resident allowed the officer to search the room and the officer found a fake ID, Hoaas wrote.

Both residents of the room were referred to the Office of Student Conduct.

This case is closed.