University of Maryland Police responded to reports of burglary, fraud, CDS violations and a suspicious person last week, according to daily crime logs.

Burglary

On April 7 at about 1:25 a.m., University Police responded to 251 North Dining Hall for a burglary.

Through security cameras, police saw two people enter the building through the roof latch, police spokesperson Sgt. Rosanne Hoaas wrote in an email.

Jared Wendell Haas, 19, of Bel Air, and Cole Thomas Shapiro, 19, of Germantown were arrested in the burglary. Both names appear in a university student directory search as residents of Easton Hall.

Police charged Haas with fourth-degree burglary and carrying a concealed deadly weapon and Shapiro with fourth-degree burglary, Hoaas wrote.

This case is closed.

Fraud

University Police responded to a report of a telephone scam on April 8 at about 7:45 p.m.

A female university student reported that she received a call at about 2:30 p.m. from someone purporting to be from the Department of Homeland Security. The caller told the student she had failed to provide a certain document, and said the student would face deportation if she did not pay a fee, Hoaas wrote.

The student complied and purchased gift cards while on the phone with the caller, who disconnected the call after the student provided access codes to the gift cards, Hoaas wrote.

This case is active, pending any further investigative leads.

CDS Violations

On April 7 at about 11:45 p.m., University Police were patrolling Lot 2A, near the Denton Community, when they observed smoke coming from a vehicle occupied by three people, Hoaas wrote.

After the male driver admitted to the officer he had been smoking marijuana inside the car, police searched the vehicle and found a small amount of marijuana and paraphernalia, she wrote.

The driver was issued a civil citation for possession of less than 10 grams of marijuana, Hoaas wrote.

This case is closed.

On Tuesday and Thursday, police arrested other individuals in CDS violations that occurred on Rossborough Lane and University Boulevard, respectively, according to daily crime logs.

Details of the two incidents were not immediately available.

Suspicious person

Just after 5 p.m. on Tuesday, University Police received a report of a suspicious person.

A female university student told police that she had an interaction with a male whom she did not know at about 4:40 p.m. near Clark Hall, Hoaas wrote.

The student was walking toward the Paint Branch Trail when the male began to follow her. He asked her if she wanted to see a video on his phone, and she ignored him. The male continued to walk with her and then played the video. She was able to walk away from the male and contact police.

Police are reviewing surveillance video of the area. This case is active, pending further investigative leads.