With Maryland men’s lacrosse trailing Notre Dame late in the fourth quarter Sunday, attackman Logan Wisnauskas sprinted about 20 yards, dove and saved a ball on the verge of bouncing out of bounds, retaining a crucial possession for the Terps.

A couple of minutes later, with about 20 seconds left in regulation, Wisnauskas threaded a pass between the Fighting Irish goalie and a defender to midfielder Anthony DeMaio, whose shot tied the game and forced overtime.

Last season, Wisnauskas might not have been in the physical condition to get to that bouncing ball or possessed the accuracy to deliver the pass through a tight window. But after a heightened offseason training regimen with some of his teammates, Wisnauskas has become more than just the prolific shooter he was as a redshirt freshman.

“Logan’s amazing,” said defender Curtis Corley, one of the teammates who trained with him. “He’s huge, tough to guard. … He’s amazing with his stick and what he does.”

[Read more: No. 2 Maryland men’s lacrosse falls 14-13 in OT to No. 17 Notre Dame]

Wisnauskas transferred to Maryland after redshirting in his only season at Syracuse. But before his Terps debut, the Sykesville native got a virus that hindered his conditioning, preventing him from being in the playing shape he would have liked.

As a result, Wisnauskas said he played at about 215 to 220 pounds. In the offseason, the 6-foot-3 midfielder emphasized slimming his stature down to the 203 to 205 pound range he’s at now.

“It’s night and day,” Wisnauskas said. “I couldn’t even run. I couldn’t even, like, catch my breath after I ran, and now I feel like I’m in the best shape of my life.”

[Read more: Extra-man misses and failed clears led to Maryland men’s lacrosse’s first loss]

After last season’s final four loss to Duke, about a quarter of the team stayed in College Park for summer training. Corley watched as Wisnauskas hit the weight room, worked on conditioning, practiced his shot and worked on his passing.

Through six games this season, Corley has marveled at not only Wisnauskas’ shooting, but also his ability to find teammates who are being defended and “throw them open.”

“Watching him do all that work this summer,” Corley said, “and watching it pay off this spring, it’s kind of just a testament to his hard work and attitude.”

Wisnauskas’ increased fitness has allowed him to be much more than a catch-and-shoot scorer for the Terps. The redshirt sophomore has shown a proclivity to dodge, make passes on the move and constantly probe for the best scoring chance, whether that’s for him or others.

Wisnauskas is currently tied for the team lead in goals with 18, and paces the team in both assists (14) and points (32). He tallied just 15 assists all year as a redshirt freshman.

With the graduation of Connor Kelly and Tim Rotanz, the Terps lost a combined 66 goals and 57 assists from 2018. Coach John Tillman also noted that those senior midfielders stepped up in clutch situations, making them particularly difficult to replace.

But Wisnauskas has helped fill the void as an attackman capable of pestering defenses with his multi-dimensional talents. And game-changing plays like the ones he made against Notre Dame show he’s not afraid of the big moment.

“We lost some high-IQ guys,” Tillman said. “It’s hard to replace that experience, and it just seems like Logan has really kinda brought a lot of those qualities to us this year, so it hasn’t been that much of a drop off.”