2018 was a big moment for women in rock, with critically acclaimed albums from artists like Snail Mail, Soccer Mommy and DILLY DALLY. The release of Cherry Glazerr’s new album Stuffed & Ready rides the wave of that prowess. Cherry Glazerr brings a unique edge to the music scene, finding middle ground between soft indie rock and noisy punk.

Stuffed & Ready starts off sweet and predictable, with gentle vocals and foot-tapping guitar melodies from lead singer/guitarist Clementine Creevy. But the music quickly gets darker, even more hardcore, as Creevy embarks on intense guitar solos and explores her lower register.

Each song sounds different — despite sometimes repetitive vocal patterns — with the electric indie tune “Daddi” fading into the alternative-sounding “Wasted Nun,” and later, to the uproarious “Stupid Fish,” an angry anthem featuring a screaming Creevy.

Creevy’s voice is unique, but it’s so high-pitched that the drums and guitar could easily dominate each track. To counter this, some of her more emotional lyrics are largely isolated, and the instruments take center stage for more basic hooks.

One of the best examples of this is in “Isolation,” a solemn song about self-inflicted loneliness and desperate attempts to hang onto connection. Simple bass lines and drum beats hang behind as she sings “Don’t crowd me out ’cause I am not a shell/ I burned myself when I was running hell.” Then the band breaks into an aggressive jam for her repetitive chorus.

Lyrically, Creevy is taking listeners on a tour through some hard, lonely places. The instruments serve as vehicles, taking you from experience to experience. This is true of most of Cherry Glazerr’s music, as well as some amazing alternative-rock releases from women over the past year.

The album is raw; it’s full of strong emotions and sexual energy. It displays Creevy’s experiences in finding and losing love and intimacy, and the confusion and pain that comes with it all.

The album is experimental and cohesive. While it starts on a indie-rock note and ends with more of a punk vibe, it flows easily into those changes. The difference in sound doesn’t feel choppy or confusing — instead, it shows musical depth and drive to perfect any sound they choose to explore.

While Stuffed & Ready is a short listen — clocking in at a little over 30 minutes — it still feels like a complete musical narrative. The album feels well-rounded, and it sounds like a perfect concert set for an intimate venue.

Whatever the album lacks in length, the band makes up for in intensity and talent. After all, good things come in small packages.