Entering last weekend’s meet against No. 10 Michigan, the Maryland gymnastics team had just posted a season-high score of 194.950, a promising sign for a young team early in its season.

But the Terps took a step back in their matchup with the Wolverines, as their score dropped to 193.525.

In 2018, Maryland reached 195 by the third meet and didn’t fall below that level for the remainder of the season. And as the Terps prepare for their Saturday meet against Rutgers, coach Brett Nelligan’s squad is hoping to repeat that improvement, which starts with breaking the 195 mark for the first time this year.

“We gave away a lot [of tenths],” Nelligan said. “So there’s a lot of stuff we can tighten up and fix.”

[Read more: Maryland gymnastics posts season-low score in 196.400-193.525 loss to No. 8 Michigan]

Despite its score dropping by .4 against Michigan, Maryland still ranks No. 21 in the nation on the uneven bars. Leading the way are sophomores Emilie LeBlanc and Audrey Barber, who notched a 9.825 and a 9.800 in the event, respectively.

The team has also performed well on the vault given its young roster. Freshman Alexsis Rubio has impressed in that event, putting up a 9.750 in her first meet and a 9.775 in her second.

Sophomore Collea Burgess has been a revelation of sorts, establishing herself as a crucial member of the team after an injury-plagued freshman campaign. One of the Terps’ few bright spots against Michigan was Burgess’ 9.775 in the vault, the team-high in the meet.

[Read more: Maryland gymnastics sees promise in its underclassmen]

Despite her strong performance, Burgess is focusing on clean up little mistakes as she aims for a 9.8 in the Rutgers meet.

“I’ll definitely be working for vault sticks more,” Burgess said. “Finding the landing and controlling for amplitude more.”

Maryland is also looking to recapture the form that propelled the team to a season-high performance on the beam against Illinois, when juniors Kirsten Peterman and Tiara Wright both scored 9.825. While the Terps regressed on beam against the Wolverines a week later, they’re confident that they’ve corrected the errors that were responsible for their poorer performance.

Nelligan’s team ranks No. 54 in the nation on the floor exercise — the lowest among the four events — and it struggled in that regard last weekend. The team took some falls as the poor showing contributed to a season-low team score.

But with talented gymnasts like Barber, Burgess and junior Alecia Farina — all capable of scoring 9.8s — Maryland expects to score significantly higher in its coming meets.