When then-Binghamton wrestling coach Matt Dernlan resigned in late 2017, it prompted commit Orion Anderson to search for a new wrestling home.

As one of the most-decorated high school wrestlers in New York, Anderson compiled a 185-8 career record with three state championships and two New York Most Outstanding Wrestler awards.

Knowing he didn’t have a lot of time, Anderson scrambled to set up meetings with coaches across the East Coast, hoping to visit as many colleges as possible.

After fellow New York native and 184-pounder Kyle Jasenski learned Anderson had decommitted, he jumped at the opportunity to recruit his friend to wrestle alongside him at Maryland.

“I was kind of shocked,” Jasenski said. “I said ‘Hey, you have to take a trip down to College Park.”

[Read more: Maryland wrestling’s Philip Spadafora nearly stunned Nebraska’s No. 6-ranked Isaiah White]

Jasenski, a true freshman at the time, knew he had to tell Maryland coach Kerry McCoy about how good Anderson was.

“I said [to coach McCoy] that he’d be the perfect fit,” Jasenski said. “He works hard, he’s got good morals and I knew he would affect the team in many positive ways.”

A ringing endorsement from Jasenski and a visit to the campus sealed the deal for the 133-pounder to settle on College Park.

The Terps were Anderson’s first stop of many, but once he finished up his whirlwind week, he knew Maryland was the right fit.

“After first, I didn’t really know,” Anderson said. “But after I was done with all my business, I really knew that this was the spot for me.”

[Read more: Maryland wrestling hopes Game of Thrones night will up the energy against Nebraska]

Now that he’s settled in College Park, the Schuylerville native has endured an up-and-down season with the Terps. He’s 1-5 in dual matches with his lone victory coming in thrilling 10-8 fashion against Central Michigan’s Brock Bergelin.

“He’s taken his lumps,” McCoy said. “This conference and this level is tough. I think he’s going to be very successful for us.”

While the team continues to search for its first win of the season, McCoy hopes that the strong recruiting will eventually have the Terps contending in the Big Ten, which currently features seven teams in the top 10.

Some of that recruiting has led the Maryland wrestling team to become home to many native New Yorkers, a strategy that McCoy, a New York native himself, says is unintentional but has helped build camaraderie.

“We recruit the best kids in the country,” McCoy said. “It’s nice to have that connection with some of those guys being from New York … but we’re trying to get the best guys that we can get.”

With fellow starters 165-pounder Philip Spadafora and heavyweight Youssif Hemida also being from New York, Jasenski downplayed the idea of any kind of exclusive New York clique.

“There’s not really a New York club,” Jasenski admitted. However, he revealed that there is a common belief among the Empire State Terps that might not sit too well with Maryland fans.

“We all know that New York is superior to all other states,” he said with a laugh.

Still, Anderson, the only true freshman in the starting lineup and on the road trips, remains committed to his role in helping the team any way he can — even if it means handling some of the team’s grunt work.

“They make me carry the scale,” he said. “If you’re the youngest person, you have to carry the scale.”